Author Topic: Doyal Young, inspirations?  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Hans Andersen

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Doyal Young, inspirations?
« on: January 24, 2017, 07:22:54 AM »
Hi there,
I've been away from writing for a while, but now; I'm getting in the groove again. First though, I'd like to share with you a little presentation I stumpled upon at LinkedIn, while trying to be inspired, to do..something.
Anyway here it is. I don't know if all of you can get access to LinkedIn or I'm crossing some boundery of interest, ethically(?) or other unspoken codes, but: I find mr. Young truly inspiring!

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/creative-inspirations-doyald-young-logotype-designer/doyald-young-logotype-designer

Correct me if I'm wrong doing, in anyway. It was in good faith.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Doyal Young, inspirations?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:49:01 AM »
Hi there,
I've been away from writing for a while, but now; I'm getting in the groove again. First though, I'd like to share with you a little presentation I stumpled upon at LinkedIn, while trying to be inspired, to do..something.
Anyway here it is. I don't know if all of you can get access to LinkedIn or I'm crossing some boundery of interest, ethically(?) or other unspoken codes, but: I find mr. Young truly inspiring!

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/creative-inspirations-doyald-young-logotype-designer/doyald-young-logotype-designer

Correct me if I'm wrong doing, in anyway. It was in good faith.

Introducing calligraphers to the rock stars in design and typography is wonderful. There is a tremendous amount of crossover. Hopefully there will be a way to keep this thread going with a title that is not about a specific designer, but will invite others to add to the list.
Hermann Zapf, Louise Fili, and Jessica Hische are the first 3 that pop into my head.

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »
This is really very interesting. Thanks Hans.
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 11:23:19 AM »
Thanks for posting this.   I appreciated this article as I have a strong interest for typography (the transcriber of the video typed "topography" , in fact twice!, which caused me to laugh out loud).  Didn't know this Young fellow, very typical typographer, very concerned with fine details, balance, legibility, elegance, so yes lots in common with calligraphers!   Speaking of geeky typographers, I like the blog of Tobias Frere-Jones because he is one of the true ultimate nitpickers.  https://frerejones.com/

ash0kgiri

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 01:45:34 PM »
Hi Hans,
I have seen this video before and I can watch it the whole day. Thanks for sharing again :d

-Ashok

Offline Hans Andersen

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 02:06:27 PM »
Ash0kgiri,
Allright.
To be honest: I was not aware of Doyal Young, I mean; I know a little about the basic of design, but: design of font? Wauw! It's incredible. And; to be honest: it's such a shame he'd pasted away. I love his story.
Thank's,
-Hans

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 05:16:37 AM »
His books are supposed to be really good, too. Unfortunately I just can't afford them with all the shipping and customs to Europe. :(
Natascha
My Instagram