Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 898 times)

Offline Benson Coleman

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello!
« on: January 13, 2018, 02:06:54 PM »
My name is Benson Coleman and I've been doing calligraphy for almost two years now.

I stumbled upon calligraphy almost accidentally one day while at my then finance's (now wife) place. She was busy with graduate school work and I was bored so I picked up a 'how to' calligraphy book she bought because she wanted to address our wedding invitations and started trying some of its lessons. Fast forward two whole hours and I realized I had just had fun!

I haven't been able to stop since and calligraphy is quickly moving from a hobby to a passion for me. I decided to join the Flourish Forum because, living in a small town in Oklahoma, I don't have many opportunities to meet people who share my passion and can "talk shop" with and there's only so much I can learn on my own.

Thank you so letting my join such a wonderful community and I'm looking forward to joining in on the conversation!

Benson

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:18:09 AM »
Hi Benson,
That was a fantastic kismet. My husband starting doing calligraphy (Celtic) when we were first married. I was really impressed with what he did. It's a nice way to relax, too.

Hope you continue on with your new found passion. Welcome to Flourish!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Katie Leavens

• View Profile
    • Portfolio website
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 12:43:02 PM »
Hi Benson!

This can be a great place to meet people. But also check out your local guild. I don't know how far out your small town is, but I know there are several people on the forum from OK. @sheila247 & @Natalie419 (I think I've tagged the right people!) Just to name a couple.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 12:50:14 PM »
Welcome, Benson!  Great story!  Calligraphy is an excellent way to cure boredom, especially when you're on this forum, too.

Offline Natalie419

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 02:20:06 PM »
Hi, Benson!
I live just outside Oklahoma City.  If you and your wife are ever in the area, let me know and we can plan to meet for coffee and calligraphy talk.  It's always fun to meet people who love to talk about paper, ink and flourishes.  :)

Offline scmwong

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 02:22:59 PM »
Welcome Benson, I'm new to the forum too and it's a great feeling to know there are others out there whom share the same passions.  :)

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 02:47:01 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.  This place is awesome.  I live inOklahoma City but am a member of the Tulsa guild.  The guild in OKC died but I am trying to schedule some calligraphy get togethers in OKC in addition to the Tulsa guild.

Offline Benson Coleman

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 03:05:45 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.  This place is awesome.  I live inOklahoma City but am a member of the Tulsa guild.  The guild in OKC died but I am trying to schedule some calligraphy get togethers in OKC in addition to the Tulsa guild.

Hello!

I live in Stillwater but work in OKC. A while back I saw on their website that Sooner Scribes had dissolved and was unsure how active the Tulsa guild was given that the last time I was on their site it looked like it hadn't been update in a while.

But hey, if you guys are still active, I'd be more than willing to give it a shot! Let me know if you're able to get something together in OKC as I'd love to finally meet some local calligraphers

ash0kgiri

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 06:18:41 AM »
Warm Welcome Benson,

You are at the right place and wont find yourself alone :D Feel free to ask, share and everyone here is more than willing to help you in whatever way they could.

Keep writing,
-Ashok