Author Topic: Hi from Lindag  (Read 143 times)

Offline Lindag

• View Profile
Hi from Lindag
« on: July 01, 2021, 05:33:51 PM »
Hi Erica!

My name is Linda(g) and I am so happy to have found this forum.

I noticed that many are sharing their backgrounds in calligraphy so I thought I would as well.

The first class I ever took was in college, as a graphic arts major... my kids call it the "olden days".  Ok, so it was a while ago.  All I know is that, oblique pens didn't exist and I/we actually would cut and paste our large compositions for layouts and count characters to center things.  I actually think that some people, other than me, might still do that, although I'm not sure if they were just reminiscing as they talked about it. -\_0_/-  :-D
Anyway, at that time I learned to use a broad edge nib, and learned hands such as Italic, Uncial, Bookhand, Written Roman, etc. and I will say that as a leftie it did present certain challenges, but I figured them out and loved every minute of it.  Even the all nighters spent rewriting things didn't bother me....then.

So, I've made my way back to calligraphy, even though it took a while, and I love it as much now, as I did then.  Maybe more.
In March I started in Modern Calligraphy 101 and will soon be starting MC 201 and am currently enrolled in Youghhae's Copperplate class as well.  I was also lucky enough to be able to take Jen Sweeney's Wedge Brush Water Color class and Suzanne Cunningham's Flourishing class, over the past two weeks, both of which I loved. I guess you could say I'm in full learning mode for now.

But having found this forum I do know that I've found a place that I can learn from and ask any questions I may have, knowing that I'll get genuine and knowledgable answers, without any judgement.

Anyway, I'm glad to have been accepted and to be here.  And I'm totally looking forward to exploring all of the topics!

Cheers,

Lindag

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: Hi from Lindag
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 03:14:29 PM »
Hi Linda!

I remember those days! LOL. Obliques did exist we just didn’t know that.  ;D I took my first design class at Maine College of Art & Design and we did it the old fashioned way as well. Gotta love the grid!

Sounds like you have been taking some excellent classes! Wonderful teachers. I have taken both Jen Sweeney’s and Suzanne’s classes as well. Fantastic! Glad to hear you are learning from the best!

Welcome to Flourish!  :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 04:26:07 PM by Erica McPhee »
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Sally Ellington

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Lindag
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 08:38:15 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Linda! You will love it here.