Author Topic: Copperplate Ascender Strokes - 2 Versions  (Read 93 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Copperplate Ascender Strokes - 2 Versions
« on: July 13, 2021, 11:00:32 AM »
I thought I would share this here. There are two ways to accomplish an ascender stroke while doing Copperplate (Engrosser's Script, Engraver's Script, Roundhand). The first is to start at the midline and go up and over counterclockwise in one stroke. The second is to start at the top and go down on the left. Then go back up and add the right hand side, including the curve and perhaps a slight shade on the right.

Some folks find it difficult to make the overturn in one fell swoop the first way and others find it difficult to get a smooth connection and overturn in the second. I suggest trying it both ways and see which one you prefer.

Note:
  • Be careful to keep a smooth transition around the overturn.
  • Do not make your loops too wide or too narrow.
  • If you are using the two stroke method, be careful when you join the hairlines so there is no glitch or overlap.
  • Watch your height in relation to the top ascender line, aiming for consistency.

I hope that is helpful! As always, let me know if there are any questions, suggestions, or comments.  ;D
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Copperplate Ascender Strokes - 2 Versions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 07:45:30 AM »
I always produce the ascender in a single stroke as b in the top line. Occasionally I'll add the small right-sided shade separately.