Author Topic: How to combine calligraphy practice with kids around?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline miimu

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
How to combine calligraphy practice with kids around?
« on: February 11, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »
Is there any other small kids moms, and how on earth do you practice calligraphy with kids around? I have kids age 3 & 6 years, I love drawing, calligraphy, inks...and so do my kids, and they will not leave me alone for a minute to do this in my workspace. It's difficult to find time/concentration to practise, in my case staying awake at night playing with inks&paper is not possible. Is it just impossible, and I should wait for years before starting this kind of hobbies again  :-[ ? Any tips for good concentration in hustle-bustle around? I've tried calm music and giving kids own papers to paint, also putting them to watch a movie...but of course it's all the time "watch me, help me, do this, I want that" :o and I can say my drills are not beautiful or smooth. Will I stop or will I continue, even though there's not a single paper looking beautiful after? Anyone else having same issues, or ideas how to "meditate" your mind in these situations..? Even writing this piece had so many interruptions :o

Offline Anjali N

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: How to combine calligraphy practice with kids around?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 11:36:12 PM »
I haven't found a good way to practice while my kiddos (ages 2 and 4) are awake, so I regulate it to nap time and once they are in bed for the night...

Offline sarthina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 05:19:06 AM »
it's all the time "watch me, help me, do this, I want that" :o

Hi! And welcome to the club  ;) . The quote above is just about what most of the kids do. My own included. And pretty much I do what Anjali said already. Apart from that I enjoy my wife's support who whenever she can she would take our (almost) 5 yo daughter and give her something else to do. But mostly the night is when I can practice. And sometimes during weekends when grandmas come to the rescue.
On the other hand, try to talk to them. It's easy to say, I know. But when the nibs came and I started calligraphy, imagine her eyes wide open... She wanted to touch and write with everything. I told her the nibs are for dad only and she could hurt herself with the nibs because "look, see how pointy and sharp they are!!". Inks are always somewhere high up. What I like is that she often comes near me bringing all her pencils and drawing pads and start doing her own calligraphy  :o . I think it's OK to let the kids see (not necessarily write) you practicing. Plus, most of the kids loose interest pretty soon. So, what can I say, keep doing your stuff, talk to them, seek help within your family... Assign them other chores and give rewards if they let you do your stuff.
Hope this helps...
Take a look here: @sarthina_scribit

Offline miimu

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 12:48:54 PM »
I'll propably just continue doing drills for few years, they're easiest to manage ::) Weekends I'm watching kids almost all the time, while husband is working, and our grandma help-service is living other side of the country. I'm so easily staying awake whole night after starting something interesting, craft/book etc, that I need to limit my hobbies at late nights. But nice to know here's also other moms/dads struggling with scheduling! Have to just add small pieces of time somewhere.

Offline Brookeemcdonald

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • inky fingers calligraphy
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »
oh I know he struggle! When I started out, I had a 2 and 5 year old. I definitely had to leave the house to get anything done during the day. Lucky me, my MIL would come occasional afternoons and I'd pack up my box of ink and nibs and my practice pad and go sit in the library for a few hours. Then after bed time, the 8pm to 12am shift has always been very productive for me, though not great for my sleep habits! But when my daughter was learning to write she would sit quietly with me and practice her writing, usually while little brother was napping.  In general though- nothing gets done while kids are around! NOTHING.  :o

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
Then after bed time, the 8pm to 12am shift has always been very productive for me, though not great for my sleep habits!
Same here.
For a bit I was doing a lot of bedside practice... better than nothing.   :P  Now, it's easier, like everything else.

Good luck and keep practicing!