Author Topic: Double Letters  (Read 5135 times)

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
Double Letters
« on: November 13, 2015, 10:53:57 AM »
How do you handle double letters? Specifically when you have two p's next to each other? I find writing words like "happy" or "appearance" the p's get sloppy and look funny next to each other if I put the bottom loop on. I have tried doing just the "stick" version (excuse my lack of technical term- I'm not sure what you would call it) but I feel it too looks off.

I find having two f's next to each other to be much easier but then again, f is my favorite letter to write out so that kind of makes sense.

Anyways, I always appreciate your advice. Any examples or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!
Monica

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Double Letters
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 11:49:17 AM »
I like to use a variety when I have double letters. I'll try to post some examples later today.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Masgrimes

• Freshman Member
  • Enjoying the process.
    • View Profile
    • Masgrimes Studio
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 07:30:14 PM »
I have tried doing just the "stick" version (excuse my lack of technical term- I'm not sure what you would call it) but I feel it too looks off.

Not really relevant to the double descenders, but here is an interesting tidbit that I discovered recently while studying a letter from Baird to Lupfer. Notice anywhere there are two ascender loops, the second is slightly shorter than the first. Just food for thought! It's okay for them to be a bit different to add some variety for your script.

http://www.iampeth.com/sites/iampeth.com/files/artwork/BairdLetter1.jpg
David Grimes — Penman

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 07:51:55 PM »
I have tried doing just the "stick" version (excuse my lack of technical term- I'm not sure what you would call it) but I feel it too looks off.

Not really relevant to the double descenders, but here is an interesting tidbit that I discovered recently while studying a letter from Baird to Lupfer. Notice anywhere there are two ascender loops, the second is slightly shorter than the first. Just food for thought! It's okay for them to be a bit different to add some variety for your script.

http://www.iampeth.com/sites/iampeth.com/files/artwork/BairdLetter1.jpg

Thanks! I always felt everything needed to be exactly the same. I do like the idea of a slight variation. Also, the letter is beautiful!
Monica

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:36:03 PM »
Oh my word - that Baird letter!  :-*  ;D I could stare at it for hours.

I am attaching a couple of examples I did this afternoon (click on it to see it slightly larger). The first f is based on the Engrosser's Script shown in the Zanerian Manual. The second f is from Eleanor Winter's Mastering Copperplate. You can see three significant differences. The Zanerian f starts it's thick shade a little further down the left half and the loop is a bit wider. Winter's f starts the heavy shade as soon as you round the corner to the left and is a bit narrower. Both finish with a different exit stroke.

Like David mentioned, it does look pleasing to have varying heights (in both ascenders and descenders) when you have two next to each other as shown in the first variation of "effort."

In terms of the p, the Zanerian takes its stem all the way to the 1/2 mid-line whereas Winter's goes just above the x height mid-line. (I went a little higher.) Again, in the second p variation, the heights of the descenders vary.

I think the most important thing to try to remember is try to maintain consistent spacing and slant when there are double letters, two ascenders, and/or two descenders. One slip up in either can make for an awkward or unpleasant look.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:39:31 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 08:57:18 PM »
Oh my word - that Baird letter!  :-*  ;D I could stare at it for hours.

I am attaching a couple of examples I did this afternoon (click on it to see it slightly larger). The first f is based on the Engrosser's Script shown in the Zanerian Manual. The second f is from Eleanor Winter's Mastering Copperplate. You can see three significant differences. The Zanerian f starts it's thick shade a little further down the left half and the loop is a bit wider. Winter's f starts the heavy shade as soon as you round the corner to the left and is a bit narrower. Both finish with a different exit stroke.

Like David mentioned, it does look pleasing to have varying heights (in both ascenders and descenders) when you have two next to each other as shown in the first variation of "effort."

In terms of the p, the Zanerian takes its stem all the way to the 1/2 mid-line whereas Winter's goes just above the x height mid-line. (I went a little higher.) Again, in the second p variation, the heights of the descenders vary.

I think the most important thing to try to remember is try to maintain consistent spacing and slant when there are double letters, two ascenders, and/or two descenders. One slip up in either can make for an awkward or unpleasant look.

That fourth f is my favorite way to write an f! I find it just flows so well.

I really like the bottom left version of "happy" just enough difference to give it some personality. Thank you for the examples.

What you mention about making sure I keep spacing and slant consistent is something I'm really working on. It sure does mess things up when one is a bit off kilter.
Monica

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 09:35:31 PM »

That fourth f is my favorite way to write an f! I find it just flows so well.

Mine, too!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline unscripted

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 03:07:15 PM »
Thank you, Erica, for posting those examples. It's been really useful for me, and I'm no longer afraid or groany whenever I have to practice double letters.