Author Topic: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen  (Read 125758 times)

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
Re: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2015, 04:52:08 PM »
The Leonardt Principal is the modern standard for large thicks and fine hairlines in one but it is a sharp nib so it will scratch without a light touch. If you want smooth and large swells with hairline thins you'll likely have to locate some vintage nibs. Practicing a lighter touch and adjusting your nib angle can help with the scratching though as well as selecting the right paper.

The new Titanium Zebra G's are really nice too, they flex as much as the regular Zebra but seem smoother to me.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:57:17 PM by Heebs »

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2015, 06:00:14 PM »

The new Titanium Zebra G's are really nice too, they flex as much as the regular Zebra but seem smoother to me.

Just wondering how much longer the titanium nibs last compared to the regular--in your opinion, are they worth the price difference??
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2015, 06:05:03 PM »

Just wondering how much longer the titanium nibs last compared to the regular--in your opinion, are they worth the price difference??

I've actually been using a lot lately, I normally dislike the G nibs but this is quite pleasant to use but from what I understand they should last up to 4 times as long as a regular Zebra. Since a regular one runs about $2, if you get 2-3 times as much use out of this then it seems worth it. I'll have to go back and test both Zebra's tonight but the Titanium one has been smoother than the original but it might be that I haven't used that one enough--i'll let you know when I do a comparison after work.

Offline Afreen Gaffar

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »
The Leonardt Principal is the modern standard for large thicks and fine hairlines in one but it is a sharp nib so it will scratch without a light touch. If you want smooth and large swells with hairline thins you'll likely have to locate some vintage nibs. Practicing a lighter touch and adjusting your nib angle can help with the scratching though as well as selecting the right paper.

I'll try the Leonardt Principal and the Titanium Zebra G and see if it works. Thank you for helping out!  :-)
Budding Calligrapher,Artist, Engineer, Adventurer... and a bunch of other stuff :-)

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/afreengaffar/

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2015, 07:54:11 PM »
I'm with Heebs on the Titanium G. They are very smooth to write with. I did a quick comparison of the various G nibs on my IG yesterday.

Offline FrancescaV

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2015, 09:16:37 AM »
I've just had a note in from Blots pens and ink about the Titanium Zebra G coming into stock towards the end of January. I'm definitely going to give it try!
A pen is to me as a beak is to a hen -J.R.R Tolkien

Instagram

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2015, 11:56:10 AM »
I've been trying out Gillot 1950 lately and liking it very much. Not too stiff nor too flexible. It's easy to square tops and bottoms :)

Everyday use are:
- Hunt 101
- Zebra G (for white and colored inks)
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2015, 05:05:41 AM »
Uuuugh. I have found my favorite vintage nib out of the huge lot that I've gotten to try lately and what sucks is that while I do have a good handful of them (16), I can't find them online at all which means they're probably pretty uncommon. Esterbrook 528. So fits my hand and the amount of pressure I like to use perfectly. Not too springy and not too stiff.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2015, 05:29:03 PM »
Uuuugh. I have found my favorite vintage nib out of the huge lot that I've gotten to try lately and what sucks is that while I do have a good handful of them (16), I can't find them online at all which means they're probably pretty uncommon. Esterbrook 528. So fits my hand and the amount of pressure I like to use perfectly. Not too springy and not too stiff.
Try PM'ing Penstaff (Harvey). He has a huge collection and might have some for sale.

Offline Afreen Gaffar

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2015, 08:02:14 PM »
My favorite nib these days is Vintage Gillott 303, given to me by Schin!  :-* :-* LOVE it!! Thank you Schin!  :-* :-*

My fav ink is Walnut ink. The combination of Vintage Gillott 303 & Walnut ink is amazing! <3 <3
Budding Calligrapher,Artist, Engineer, Adventurer... and a bunch of other stuff :-)

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/afreengaffar/

Offline Chandra

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2015, 10:34:54 PM »
I'm with Heebs on the Titanium G. They are very smooth to write with. I did a quick comparison of the various G nibs on my IG yesterday.

Does PIA sell the Titanium G ? I can't find in which section. I only see the the Zebra G.

btw, just followed your IG, lovely profile !  :)

CH

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2015, 03:27:42 PM »
Does PIA sell the Titanium G ? I can't find in which section. I only see the the Zebra G.

No, they don't, but JNB does.
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline Chandra

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2015, 09:06:12 PM »

No, they don't, but JNB does.

Alright thank you ! :)

Offline camilleysan

• View Profile
    • My Instagram Page
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2015, 08:57:43 AM »
Initially my go to nibs were my Brause 66EF, then I got myself a Zebra G and that's the one I use for everything now <3
Instagram: @camilleysan

I'd love to hear your comments and critique on my work! Leave some at "Advice for a Newbie"

Offline Chandra

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2015, 09:19:07 AM »
Initially my go to nibs were my Brause 66EF, then I got myself a Zebra G and that's the one I use for everything now <3

I hope that when i get it, it'll also suit me. Waiting everyday for the package ! XD