Author Topic: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen  (Read 125318 times)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2016, 12:57:23 PM »
Moya: You wouldn't want them anyway, turns out the box is from a disreputable seller! Argh! I just hope I get outbid!

AAAndrew: Did you say a box of Spencerian 1s sold for $20???
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »
Moya: You wouldn't want them anyway, turns out the box is from a disreputable seller! Argh! I just hope I get outbid!

AAAndrew: Did you say a box of Spencerian 1s sold for $20???

Can't you just cancel your bid, or is the end date too soon?
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2016, 03:00:20 PM »
A couple of weeks ago a mostly full box was up for auction and I "watched" it just to see what it did. I didn't bid, and it went for $20. Not sure if it was a "New York" only lot, but I think it was in one of the blue boxes. Sometimes someone gets lucky. It also taught me to at least throw in a bid if I'm at all interested. [sigh]
Interesting. I didn't see that. I did a world wide search of completed listings and the only one that came close was a listing for 5 nibs without the pictured box. Do you remember the title of the listing? Still in your watch list?

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2016, 04:52:34 PM »
It's not. They weren't labeled as Spencerian No 1 in the eBay listing. I'm trying to remember the wording, but when you looked at the listing, it was most definitely the Spencerian Ivison Phinney Double Elastic box and nibs. The seller had it in some vague calligraphy, like "writing supplies" or something and didn't include any of the key words even "Spencerian."  I seem to remember stumbling upon them when just surfing through some category and didn't think too much about it. Now I wish I had kept it in my watch list. I was shocked when it went through with just one bid.

Speaking of lost "opportunities" I did follow, and still have in my watch list, the Victorian Gillott's salesman's sample set that went for almost 1500 GBP, which is about $2100. Gorgeous! Way too rich for my blood, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTORIAN-ANTIQUE-SALESMAN-SAMPLE-DIP-PEN-NIB-STATIONARY-SET-GILLOTTS-PATENT-/231821449997?nma=true&si=0oqgMEkAed7A756kzPafDRw%252FvdM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Andrew
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2016, 05:38:28 PM »
It's not. They weren't labeled as Spencerian No 1 in the eBay listing. I'm trying to remember the wording, but when you looked at the listing, it was most definitely the Spencerian Ivison Phinney Double Elastic box and nibs. The seller had it in some vague calligraphy, like "writing supplies" or something and didn't include any of the key words even "Spencerian."  I seem to remember stumbling upon them when just surfing through some category and didn't think too much about it. Now I wish I had kept it in my watch list. I was shocked when it went through with just one bid.

Speaking of lost "opportunities" I did follow, and still have in my watch list, the Victorian Gillott's salesman's sample set that went for almost 1500 GBP, which is about $2100. Gorgeous! Way too rich for my blood, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTORIAN-ANTIQUE-SALESMAN-SAMPLE-DIP-PEN-NIB-STATIONARY-SET-GILLOTTS-PATENT-/231821449997?nma=true&si=0oqgMEkAed7A756kzPafDRw%252FvdM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Andrew

OMG. I want that set so bad.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2016, 02:14:22 PM »
Anyone else watching the bidding of a box of Spencerian no 1? Current bid price USD365  ;D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262286715114?_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Followup:
With a few hours to go, current bid $520.
I also asked the seller how many are in the box, and he did a quick count and said 118, although a few may be stuck together and uncounted.

Offline GabrielaLintang

• Freshman Member
  • 😄
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2016, 10:02:01 PM »
I tried first with nikko G an then bunch of vintage nibs that i didn't like. And then i find hunt 101. So flexible yet fine hairline. I also tried the LP too. It gave me almost the same result with 101. After a few recommendations, i tried blanzy 2552 and the esterbrook 357. Though it's hard to find, i'm quite liking it. The 2552 for me practicing OP and the 357 for practicing engrosser. Now i'm buying Gillott 601. Is Gillot 601 a good nib? Cause it still on it's way to me 😁
Cheers,

Gabriela 😊😊

Offline Entropy

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2016, 05:04:08 AM »
Holy crap... that box of Spencerian 1's went for $620 at the end. Also, saw that fantastic Victorian Gillott set- that thing is seriously one of the sexiest things I've ever seen but man... that price. Still, I ended up saving pictures of it for reference. I really wish that stuff like that ended up at museums more often- it must be so incredibly rare to have an almost completely full set like that AND have it be in that condition.

As a side note I've decided that I may start doing a nib a day review on Periscope or something. At the very least I'm definitely going to do one about how various shapes and designs affect performance as well as what I the POU (philosophy of use) for designs were.

My Periscope is eNtroPyINK for anyone interested. At the very least I think it'd be a ton of fun to just show you guys my workspace and get some other opinions.

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2016, 11:46:23 AM »
My Periscope is eNtroPyINK for anyone interested. At the very least I think it'd be a ton of fun to just show you guys my workspace and get some other opinions.
Don't forget to copy this info over into the "official" Periscope thread (sorry too lazy to hunt for it, I was just looking at it a couple of minutes ago...) if you haven't done so already

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2016, 10:36:43 AM »
As I mentioned in another thread, I recently was fortunate to come upon a minor treasure trove of nibs. In this collection, there were several Gillott nibs. In addition to some of the well-known Gillott's nibs, there were also a nice little group of Gillott 292 Public Pen nibs. I couldn't find much information on these, but I have say that just from my limited experience, these are quite nice nibs. Very fine hairlines, a good spring and nice shading.

Another less-well-known nib that is a very nice option.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline tmtcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2016, 12:36:27 AM »
So Many Nibs I want to try.... $$$$$$$$$$  :(

ash0kgiri

« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2016, 10:42:11 AM »
Lately bought so many nibs and my first oblique pen holder and absolutely love writing with it. It felt different as i was used to straight one.
Since i have so many nibs i usually get confused which one to use. So i started with Hunt 101, Gillotte 303 and Brause 66EF as suggested by @SMK. All there are quite flexible with fine hairline.

Here's how they all write. For newbies this might be of some use.

Keep Writing,
Ashok

Offline Krapprot

• Khalepà tà kalá
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2017, 10:36:05 PM »
Hey folks,

I'm new to the Forum and just wanted to say hello.   I'm relatively new to writing with an oblique holder, so I've not yet gotten to the point where I feel I can appreciate any nib enough for it to be my favorite.   I'll get there.   These are the 16 I've got to work with, all vintage I believe:

• Brandauer "Oriental" #342 Grey Ex-Fine
  • E.S. Perry #440 Bronze Ex-Fine
  • Esterbrook #126 “Double Spring”
  • Esterbrook #128 "Extra-Fine Elastic"
  • Esterbrook #354 "Art & Drafting"
  • Esterbrook #355 "Art & Drafting"
  • Esterbrook #356 "Art & Drafting"
  • Gillott #170 "Warranted"
  • Gillott #290 "Lithographic Pen"
  • Gillott #303 Ex-Fine
  • Gillott #404 "Warranted"
  • Goode & Co. #801 Ex-Fine
  • Goode & Co. #99 Ex-Fine
  • Hinks Wells “Shell Pointed” #2438 Ex-Fine
  • John Mitchell #0286 Ex-Fine
  • Spencerian #1 “Double Elastic” Ivison Phinney & Co.

I know of the reputation of the Spencerian #1, the Gillott nibs and a couple of the Esterbrooks.   I'm quite impressed though with the E.S. Perry #440 EF, the Goode & Co #801 EF and the John Mitchell #0286 EF.   Do any of you folks work regularly with these last three?   What are your thoughts on the quality of them relative to the more prized Spencerian #1 and the Gillott nibs?

Also, I'm not able to fit the tiny ones into my oblique holder.  Any suggestions for the best place to get flanges customized to hold the tinier nibs?  Much appreciated.

K
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:10:24 PM by Krapprot »

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »
Hi Krapprot,

I haven't tried any of the nibs you specifically mention, but they are all made by good companies.  Goode and Co are in fact made by Perry & Co, who for a time made Spencerian nibs, before manufacture moved the the US.  E.S. Perry was a company started by one of the Perry & Co family, and so are also excellent nibs.  I'm not sure about the history of the John Mitchell company, but I have tried several of their nibs, and found them to be good. 

As for the flange issue, you might try purchasing a set of 'bail making pliers' of ebay, or similar.  Jewellery makers use them, but they are great for adjusting flanges.  Make sure you get a set with straight, rather than tapered ends, and with one end around 3mm wide.  Something like this will do http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bail-Making-Pliers-Wire-Wrapping-Consistent-Loops-Beading-Crafts-Jewellery-Tools-/152286489731?hash=item2374fb6c83:g:dHkAAOSwZJBYBxDw
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2017, 02:44:07 PM »
Oohhhh man oh man what I wouldn't give to have a box of vintage gillott 170s.