Author Topic: Ten Tips to Self-Critique and Improve your Calligraphy  (Read 47790 times)

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
Re: Ten Tips to Self-Critique and Improve your Calligraphy
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 10:18:31 AM »
Shows how much I know.  I thought it was perfect. 
Thanks... I printed your tips.  They're a huge help.
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 10:13:26 AM »
And in order to improve, you have to be able to see what you are doing wrong. So here are some suggestions which I hope will help you to improve your work.

Ten excellent points of advice to boost self-confidence and belief in your work.  :D

However, some of us reach a point where we believe our own publicity and consider our writing to be perfect, often when we still have a way to go. In that situation, this quote from Hermann Zapf can help bring one down to earth. I don't mean this as a depressant but as a gentle counter-balance to the ten points of reassurance.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:17:14 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 05:44:23 PM »
However, some of us reach a point where we believe our own publicity and consider our writing to be perfect, often when we still have a way to go. In that situation, this quote from Hermann Zapf can help bring one down to earth. I don't mean this as a depressant but as a gentle counter-balance to the ten points of reassurance.

I really like this quote.
Good or excellent are such relative terms. During the first 6 months or so of my attempt to learn Spencerian were the only moments I thought I was starting to really get the hang of it--not excellent, not even good, but bordering on pretty good. That feeling was fostered constantly by people to whom I sent letters or cards who had never seen good handwriting. I sent a card to a local business owner on the first anniversary of her business and she liked it so much, she put it in a little stand on the counter by the cash register for all her customers to see, and every time I went in there, she said how much her customers liked it, it was so pretty, nicest writing they'd ever seen, and so on. That made me feel good, at least initially, and those comments were supporting a view of my work that I no longer agree with myself. Now, I go in and see that card and cringe. It's really not even pretty good. Dare I say it is pretty bad? Not quite awful, at least.
 This change in perspective has come about in part by studying exemplars of the masters and in part by studying the work of those better than me on this forum. The more I study truly good work, the wider I perceive the gulf between my work and good/excellent work to be, which might be disheartening. But also the gulf grows between my first attempts and my current ones, so encouraging. Sort of like increasing knowledge is an expanding universe. As long as I'm going in a positive direction, it's good. My 2 cents for the day.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 10:25:56 PM »
I LOVE this, Mike! I started writing something very similar on the perfect/balance thread today but then deleted it. I feel the same way about my wedding invitations (my first work in Spencerian). When I did them, I was so happy with how they came out. Now I see them and I'm completely embarrassed! For me, it is the difference between what we think we see when we are starting out and what we now know we see since we have studied and learned good letter form.

You articulated this very well! Thanks for sharing!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 10:52:43 AM »
....This change in perspective has come about in part by studying exemplars of the masters and in part by studying the work of those better than me on this forum. The more I study truly good work, the wider I perceive the gulf between my work and good/excellent work to be, which might be disheartening. But also the gulf grows between my first attempts and my current ones, so encouraging. Sort of like increasing knowledge is an expanding universe. As long as I'm going in a positive direction, it's good. My 2 cents for the day.

This is absolutely normal and shows that you're on the right track! This gradual awareness/perception is a necessary part of development, and you're well on your way. I always advise keeping some early work, because referring back can be very encouraging when you see just how far you've come.

Ken

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 11:17:21 AM »

This is absolutely normal and shows that you're on the right track! This gradual awareness/perception is a necessary part of development, and you're well on your way. I always advise keeping some early work, because referring back can be very encouraging when you see just how far you've come.

Ken
Thanks, Ken

Your fine work I'm keeping a sharp eye on--always a pleasure and inspiring to see.

I have saved some of my early attempts, and there is clear improvement.

On the IAMPETH site, there are posts showing improvement by Behrensmeyer, Lupfer, and Vitolo. I'd say dramatic improvement. Just goes to show, everyone starts somewhere.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 11:16:18 AM »
I always advise keeping some early work, because referring back can be very encouraging when you see just how far you've come.

Ken
Check out the Before and After thread in Open Flourishing if you'd like to see my (and others) early work. Painful to look at but gives hope for improvement in the future. I think many people keep samples of their early attempts.

Mike

Offline syed sha abulhassan Quadr

• Syed is Here😉
    • View Profile
    • My etsy shop
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 04:33:22 PM »
This is the first time I read the full article...  Nice job   full of advices I loved it
😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
With regards
-Syed-

Offline josh

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 08:37:18 PM »
I'm new here so I've just read this and it seems I'm at the right place for constructive criticism. I'm looking forward to having my samples undergo some honest and straightforward comments. I regard this as a training routine and as such I welcome the challenge of getting it right. "Kind words are a comfort to a fool" so I'm here for the long haul.   BTW Italic script is done with ..... pen, I put, flat, and a whole load of different guesses...:)...help

Josh

Offline jaimelynne

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 10:55:28 PM »
Hi josh,

You have such a great attitude! You are absolutely going to grow exponentially as you continue with such humility! I must learn from you and post my work more :).  Thank you!

Ps - I had trouble with that question too as I haven't studied italic calligraphy, but my husband got me a book about it that is wonderful. Italic script is written with a broad edged pen.
Jaime Lynne

Offline Mosh

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Flickr:
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 02:33:14 AM »
I'm printing and pasting the JPG in this thread on my wall! : )

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 10:24:57 AM »
My favorite on that card: script - not copperplate needs to work for contemporary card.

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »
I am truly humbled by your post, Erica. I'm the type of person who gets easily frustrated because I aim for perfection and I want results fast. Thank you for your tips, that will help me keep grounded with my calligraphy journey. I know I have a loooong way to go :)
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline LaceyMcB

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 04:14:32 PM »
All fantastic tips Erica!

However, being a total newbie it makes me laugh because I look at the piece and go "omg that is amazing! How could there possibly be anything wrong with it!"

Offline Chandra

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 09:09:42 PM »
All fantastic tips Erica!

However, being a total newbie it makes me laugh because I look at the piece and go "omg that is amazing! How could there possibly be anything wrong with it!"

I second what Lacey said , as a total beginner looking at the letters, i was like " Oh my, how do i write like that ? So beautiful " and then i saw the notes that asked for changes of the words and was like " whhaa whhaat ? what is wrong ? this that those these ? How ? It's perfect in my eyes already " , and then i realize , you can never stop learning even at certain level.

Regards,
Chandra