Author Topic: Cursive in Austria  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Martina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Cursive in Austria
« on: June 01, 2020, 03:22:26 PM »
Hey there!

As I'm working my way through "Write cursive with Schin"on YouTube (because my handwriting sucks and I want to improve it) I'm constantly reminded to my days as a school kid in Austria, trying so hard to get the letters right. I thought I'll share with you what cursive looks like in Austria when you learn it in school :)

Back in the 80s I learned the "old cursive" from 1969. Since 1995 there is a new and simpler version but apparently teachers can choose which type of cursive they want to teach their classes.
(tbh I don't think it's the most beautiful cursive out there  :P)

Calligraphy newbie with a passion for blackletter

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Cursive in Austria
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 04:29:03 PM »
I like it! It's very round and so different from Spencerian handwriting or the Palmer method which is what I learned. As a child I had several penpals from various parts of Europe and I was always intrigued because they all had a very similar cursive. This was well before I knew anything about handwriting but was always curious as to how it was recognizably different from what we learned in America.

My normal handwriting is also terrible and I am always trying to improve it and write differently. I don't know why it's so difficult for me! I suppose my habits and personality cannot help but shine through unless I am doing a calligraphic hand.

Thanks for sharing!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Martina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 07:46:50 PM »
Glad you like it  :) maybe I'm not too fond of it because I had to write it all the time in school (getting the loops right on the H was so hard!  ;D ) and personally I prefer handwriting that is more slanted and narrow. I also loved having penpals, my own handwriting changed quite a bit over the years as I was always influenced by someone elses style.
Calligraphy newbie with a passion for blackletter

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 04:40:20 PM »
It is a fun script that would be great for playful pieces. One things that does irk me a little with it is how the bowl of the b is oval, more similar to an Engrosser's shape without the shade, but then the closed circles are round. I'd be curious to see how it looks executed in a sentence or paragraph. Thank you for sharing!
Star

Offline Trazo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 02:04:01 PM »
Hi Martina,

I found these old Austrian scripts by some Alois Legrün (I can't find any information about him on the internet) in an old Czech book about handwriting and printing types. The book says that the monoline script on the left is taught in Swedish schools. I thought you may like to see this.

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 05:18:37 PM »
 :) I like this style too. It is unique and mix of round cursive never seen something of this type.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 06:49:26 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sütterlin

This looks very similar.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 07:45:31 AM »
I clicked on the link and it did not have the image that I saw when I posted the link.
Here is an image.
There are several websites that have many nice examples if you do a Google search for Sütterlin penmanship