Author Topic: Favorite Practice Paper  (Read 123177 times)

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
Re: Favorite Practice Paper
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2014, 01:59:08 PM »
I have been using Tachikawa G Nibs. I do not like them, i have nothing but bad things to say about them. I catch them on the down stroke. I just ordered some nikko g last night so maybe i will have better luck with them.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »
Brad, I think you will find the Nikko G's much better. I just posted on another thread that I finally tried the Tachikawa G and I found it does collect fibers much more than the Nikko. It is definitely sharper.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2014, 05:43:34 PM »
Thank you. That is great news

Offline Sunny

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2014, 06:57:53 AM »
Few weeks ago I bought the Clairefontaine DCP Laser 120g. All my inks (Higgins, Pelikan, Lamy) bleed.
Yesterday I bought the HP paper (thank you, sisterofdream ;) ). But I'm a little sad, because also on this paper my inks bleed.  :'(

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2014, 09:51:22 AM »
I don't know that paper, nor the Higgins ink of which I have read many complaints here – but I do know Parker and Pelikan inks, and while they are great with fountain pens they tend to bleed with dip pens. Simply because, I guess at least, because there is much more ink on the paper with a swelled downstroke. Adding gum arabic helps sometimes. I also like using coloured fountain pen inks because they look like ink (a bit transparent), not like colour, in contrast to acrylic inks for example (which are also nice - just different).

You can buy bottled gum arabic in liquid form in art supply stores and add it with a pipette to the ink. Don't put in the whole bottle because apperently the gum can go bad (I read, never happened to my ink). I use separate containers for this.

The nicest ink for practice (simply black) is imho still iron gall ink because it has just the perfect flow, nearly never bleeds, gives good hairlines. Walnut ink also has good writing properties (can you say that?) but tends to bleed on more papers than iron gall ink, in my experience.

Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2014, 10:32:01 AM »
Sunny, I'm so sorry you've had a bad experience with the paper.
I've used three 500 packs of the HP Laser printer paper and it has never bled.
Is it possible that its from a 'bad' batch?
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2014, 10:52:10 AM »
I use Higgins Eternal routinely on HP 24 lb and 32 lb papers with no bleeding or feathering.  Be careful you didnt buy one of the HP multipurpose economy papers:  they may not work as well.  I have had a good experience with Higgins Eternal and tend to use it for everything except addressing greeting cards, which tend to be cheaper paper.  I like Higgins better than Sumi Moon Palace, which I find thick, gloppy, and generally difficult to work with.  Check to be sure you are using the right kind of HP paper, and also the suggestion of adding a bit of gum arabic to the ink is good.  (The GA has helped with using Higgins Eternal on cheap paper).

This is the HP paper I have used:

http://www.staples.com/HP-Bright-White-Inkjet-Paper-8-1-2-inch-x-11-inch/product_852388

http://www.staples.com/HP-LaserJet-Paper-8-1-2-inch-x-11-inch-Ream/product_782078

http://www.staples.com/HP-Premium-Choice-Laser-Paper-8-1-2-inch-x-11-inch/product_397160

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2014, 12:29:26 PM »
Few weeks ago I bought the Clairefontaine DCP Laser 120g. All my inks (Higgins, Pelikan, Lamy) bleed.
Yesterday I bought the HP paper (thank you, sisterofdream ;) ). But I'm a little sad, because also on this paper my inks bleed.  :'(

I can assure you sometimes mine bleeds through as well. I have Higgins and liquex.

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2014, 12:47:12 PM »
The paper I'm referring to is the HP Laser 32 lb.
I've used Higgins, Sumi, watercolors and gouche with no bleeding or feathering.
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »
Here is the paper that I use. And a guideline sheet from Erica that the ink has bled through

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2014, 07:42:59 PM »
I don't know that this would make a difference for ink bleeding or not but do you all use a cushion underneath your guide sheet? I always use a piece of white craft felt underneath my guidelines. This helps give the paper a little bounce. Perhaps the loft prevents the ink from pushing into the paper too much?
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2014, 10:15:10 PM »
No ,I do not. Do you do that on the lightbox as well?

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2014, 12:17:37 AM »
I always use about 6 sheets of paper as a "cushion" as well. 
I also use 1 or 2 with the light box, depending on how thick the paper I'm writing on is.  Sometimes I don't use any at all with the light box.
Roseann

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2014, 09:14:23 PM »
Yes, I use it with the lightbox. Works great!  :) I you don't have a piece of felt, you can also use a white papertowel. Or do like Roseann does and use a few extra sheets of paper.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2014, 12:22:03 PM »
I don't have any felt paper laying around I will have to search but I tried a paper towel and wow that makes huge difference on the way it feels