Author Topic: Tips for Lefties - multiple links!  (Read 23855 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Tips for Lefties - multiple links!
« on: January 08, 2014, 07:51:33 PM »
I decided not to try to reinvent the wheel and instead go searching! Here are some great links for left-handed calligraphers, including videos. I hope you find these helpful.

IAMPETH Left-handed videos and links

Calligraphy & Lettering Arts Society - tips and diagrams

Left-Handed Calligraphy book review

Facebook Group for Left-handed Calligraphers
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:44:11 AM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
Re: Tips for Lefties!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 10:29:21 PM »
Wow.  Thanks, Erica!  I just spent over an hour checking all this out.  Great info!!
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 11:53:16 PM »
I watched John De Collibus (left-handed IAMPETH Master Penman) on You Tube and he compleeeeeetely blew my mind. Look for his Dueling pens video... Guaranteed  :o  :o  :o

And PS Erica, the author of Left Handed Calligraphy (Vance Studley) was my college design professor!! He got me to love typography & lettering.  :D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:56:21 PM by Linda Y. »

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:16:04 AM »
Thanks so much for posting these, Erica! I read about a calligraphy teacher that wouldn't teach left-handed students unless they used their right hand -- yikes!

I do think (in my extremely limited experience as a pointed pen newbie) that being a leftie isn't as much as a disadvantage with pointed pen as it is with broad pen. At least I'm hoping that's true!

Offline Nice Plume

• View Profile
    • Nice Plume
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 03:54:09 AM »
I'm leftie !! I confirm that when you want, it's not as hard to learn calligraphy... Just have to place the paper correctly, LEFTIES GO ON !! - thanks Erica for the links  ;) -Nora

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 10:23:19 AM »
Linda, WHOA!!!  That did blow my mind.  I truly thought he was making flourishes. 
When I was a kid I could write with both hands at the same time.  One of the wonderful things of life was that I didn't know lefties were "supposed" to write with their hand hooked and so I learned like every other rightie.  I didn't realize until middle school that I wrote differently from other lefties. 
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.

Offline Ylainey

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 01:34:01 AM »
Thank you so much Erica for putting up this thread and I am currently checking out the links while at work! :D I can't help, it I am totally in love with Calligraphy. :)
nice to meet you,
elaine
http://instagram.com/ylainey

Offline eres

• Freshman Member
  • Lefty Schmefty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 10:31:30 PM »
Thank you for the links! Can't wait to get my left-hand into calligraphy!  :D
I'll speak in calligraphy while everybody talked in scribbles.

Offline Ylainey

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 02:11:40 AM »
Cheers to lefties!  :)
nice to meet you,
elaine
http://instagram.com/ylainey

Offline Cathyd25

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »
Hi Erica! Before I decided to take a calligraphy class using pointed pens, I was already following your posts here at the flourish forum 😄 I have a long way to go, since I don't get to practice often.  Thank you for all the tutorials you have prepared for newbies like us! God bless! 😃  hooray for lefties!

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 12:15:29 AM »
Lefties UNITE! ha ha

I was telling my husband last night that it was a blessing and a curse to be a lefty in the world of calligraphy because I use only straight holders and it's the obliques that have all the fun! Blessing for my already weeping wallet, but a bummer there aren't more beautiful custom designed straight holders!!!

Plain jane plastic speedball is where it's at!
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline Traci

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 05:36:28 AM »
This lefty says thank you! Can't wait to check out these links  :)

Offline Younghae

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Logos Calligraphy + Design
Re: Tips for Lefties - multiple links!
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 03:54:02 AM »
Thanks Erica for the links!

As a lefty, I'm always looking to learn from left handed calligraphers and try different methods to improve my writing. John DeCollibus' videos definitely blow my mind too, but I can't seem to write at his angle with an oblique penholder! So currently writing underhand with a straight holder..

Offline tmtcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 11:12:06 PM »
Not sure how I missed this for So Long!! Yay For Lefties!! I'm a Lefty Too!! I currently use a straight holder but am contemplating an oblique! I love my straight for copperplate... But if I go too fast I smudge going over the top. I Just Recently saw Johns video and WOW! I learned to write sideways in a broad pen class I took 2(cough)5 years ago! I'd completely forgotten about it!! I'm currently taking Harvests Spencerian Class and am applying the sideways writing to it!! Still using a straight holder... For now... But Man!! What a Difference that Paper Angle Makes!!

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 06:59:49 PM »
Erica - thank you for gathering and posting these left-handed links. The videos are particularly helpful. It is interesting to see how each left-handed calligrapher uses their individual pen and paper position.

I naturally write from 'underneath'. I have a small chalkboard and I am using it to practice from underneath and overhanded to see which feels the most comfortable as well as providing the best results before investing in a straight or oblique pen holder.

I am starting with the lowercase Copperplate exemplars I have seen on this forum.

I also want to thank all the lefties for their encouragement. This is a beautiful art form and I would love to be able to letter my own holiday cards this year. Practice, practice, practice. My new mantra!
"The expert at anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes