Author Topic: C's Pen Journal  (Read 11148 times)

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
C's Pen Journal
« on: February 15, 2015, 11:51:03 AM »
I have photos from a few recent efforts.  I'm going to start posting them here, and (hopefully) periodic updates as my skills improve.   Joining this forum is inspiring me to better my hand.   I'll mark the starting point here.

First up:  helping a friend pay bills.  I snagged the envelope, and whipped out my workhorse Waterman.  It's an old 2a nib that serves as my daily driver.   Alas, no dip pen kit yet.  But I'm working on that.

I could spend days poking at this.  The second line is crowded.  That's the big one I see.   It's a start....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:53:32 AM by cameraflier »

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: C's Pen Journal
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 12:22:07 PM »
I like sending letters and postcards to nieces, nephews and extended family kids.  The black is all with the same fountain pen as above, with colored markers.   The recipient is a toddler, so I figured it's all about color.  I didn't want to lettering too fancy, as he's still working on his ABC's.  I had fun with the stamp.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:23:53 PM by cameraflier »

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 12:37:15 PM »
So I had the paper hidden in my cache, but had never used it.  As I walked through a craft store, looking for my first dip pen kit, I had this idea for Valentine's Day.  I had seen a Florentine Letter Fold (http://www.ghh.com/elf/FlorentineLetterfold.html) elsewhere, but hadn't tried it.  I somehow build this concept as I stood in the isle.  I picked up a crow quill, and three miniature bottles of speedball ink.  My first project with a dip pen.

Only the address is written on this outside.  The stamp seals the envelope closed.

Offline chiarag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 02:18:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 05:59:13 PM »
These are so lovely!  I know what you mean about spending a day picking at your own work ... but to my eyes, these are great, and you really don't need to.

I also LOVE that letter to a toddler!  I'm going to have to use that brightly-coloured idea - I have a four-year-old who I owe a letter :)

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »
Do I detect another Virginia calligrapher?  Welcome to thd Forum!

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 08:22:30 PM »
These are beautiful!!
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline Chandra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »
Thank you for sharing !
What a wonderful things to see before going to sleep !

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 11:23:03 AM »
I love that folded envelope!!!! So fun!
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 11:15:15 AM »
More with the Crow Quill.  I'm coming from a fountain pen background, with a stash of fp inks sitting on my desk.  I used Diamine Chocolate for the address and butterfly.  First in pencil, then inked.  I'll find some real dip pen inks soon. 

My "K" needs serious work.  I fill practice sheets, but I'm still unsatisfied with it.  I should spend an afternoon prowling images for a really good specimen to mimic.  I saw the exemplar in the "Pointed Pen Nirvana".   I'll probably start there.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:18:54 AM by cameraflier »

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 05:24:56 PM »
That butterfly is GORGEOUS.

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 09:49:10 PM »
Got my first oblique holder, some Zerbra Gs, and McCaffery's glassy black.  .... more to learn. 

This is a second attempt at executing this envelope idea.  I liked lady on the first one better.  I had inked that first, then I went for some Diamine fp ink for the address.  (I wanted some color) It bleed horribly.  The attached second attempt is all McCaffery's.  This time it seems I completely lacked discipline with my lettering guidelines.  Considering giving it a third go.  .... I already stamped it. So I probably won't. 

practice and patience... practice and patience. 

If you see Kathleen, please keep this one a secret. ..for now. ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:05:17 PM by cameraflier »

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 09:14:15 PM »
Still trying.  I was more vigilant of guidelines this time. I think the 'R' is the weakest link.  I also need to reconsider my A.  I think I pulled when I should have pushed the left side.  oops.  Unhappy with the mug handle, but that's different. 

Criticism is always welcome.   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:35:23 PM by cameraflier »

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 09:48:38 PM »
Still at it.  I've been doing a lot of kid envelopes.  Finally a grown-up offering here, showing a little progress (I hope).  This time a set of nested envelopes, with a kind nod to Jean's blog post here.  http://pushingtheenvelopes.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

the smallest envelope has a small note inside.

much to work on.....
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:51:03 PM by cameraflier »

Offline cameraflier

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 04:03:46 PM »
I'm having fun with the nested envelopes.  Here is another variation on the same theme.  This time, I know the recipient is very fond of puzzles.  Maybe she'll get a kick out of it.

I feel ok about her name, but after that ... I'm not so keen on the addressing.  I purposefully did the name a bit bigger.  Maybe the change in scale had something to do with it.   Oh well... it's progress, and it's in the mail.

I should start tracking the watercolor discussion...