Author Topic: Modern script 'place cards' on Agate slices  (Read 6286 times)

Offline Olive & Reid

• Supporting calligraphy in the UK
    • View Profile
    • Olive and Reid Studio
Modern script 'place cards' on Agate slices
« on: January 27, 2016, 08:07:22 AM »
Hi everyone!  I've been asked to calligraph names on Agate stone slices. not sure about the tools/medium to choose, and would appreciate any thoughts for this non traditional request. I'm thinking either glass paint -- directly out of one of the bottles with a thin tip dispenser (sorry that's a really unhelpful description),  or oil paint and paint brush. Any experience with writing on stone like this? The request is for gold colour names, but the stone is bright pink and blue so it might get lost.

Thanks!

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
Re: Modern script 'place cards' on Agate slices
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 09:37:30 AM »
Hmmm, my first thought was a gold paint marker like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002044XVQ

If you wanted to try it with pointed pen, I have watered down this acrylic paint quite successfully - though not sure how it would work on a non-porous surface, but I would think it would do better than most metallic inks.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Artiste-2-oz-Acrylic-Paint-Metallic-Titanium-Gold-DOA-763102-/172029499824
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline Olive & Reid

• View Profile
    • Olive and Reid Studio
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:43:02 PM »
Thanks, Melanie Jane! I worry the pen might have more control over what happens than I do, but I had a look at that Artiste acrylic ink, too. I got in touch with a local supplier for advice, thinking it could be a good option, but they actually suggested Liquid Leaf gilding paint (either with brush or nib). Might try both on the sample. Just want to work out with either that I can erase in someway if I make a mistake. I don't think I'm going to have any 'extras' to play with.

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 02:57:47 PM »
Get a few scraps to practice on.  You may have to seal the stone, as some stones are porous or have streaks of other material in them that may mess up the ink.

Optically, you want to be opposite, to be readable.  So a bright/light stone = dark ink, dark stone = light/bright ink.  Give them the advice that a different color combo might be better.  I would show them a sample of the gold on pink, because sometimes people have an idea in their head that just will NOT work, and until they see it in front of them, they won't get it.  And make a few other color combos, as alternate ideas.  But if the client wants something, they are paying for it, so you give it to them.
Gary

Offline Olive & Reid

• View Profile
    • Olive and Reid Studio
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 03:13:34 PM »
Thanks, Gary

Yes, she's going to drop some over this weekend. I agree with your point about the colour combo, and that they have to see it to believe it. I've attached a pic of the stone for reference. What would you suggest for sealing if necessary? Something like Mod Podge, or a decoupage sealer?
Thanks

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 04:48:41 PM »
Those agate slices are usually so highly polished I wouldn't think that they would need sealing. 

In terms of the acrylic paint, I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't have a problem wiping it off with a damp cloth, as long as it hadn't dried.  In fact, even if it had dried, I bet it would chip off if you got your fingernail to it.  (if you have trouble finding a nib which works well with the paint, or anything else you try, I have some Baignol & Farjon 803 which seem to work well with pretty much anything - I'm happy to send you a couple if you need them).

Offline JohnNealBooks

• View Profile
    • John Neal Books
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 06:52:18 PM »
If the acrylic ink needs to removed and wiping doesn't work, try rubbing alcohol.  I would love to see the finished pieces...that agate is gorgeous!
Cheers, Michael

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 09:46:55 PM »
oh oh, colors go from light pink to dark magenta.  She has to tell you which one she is going with.

Polishing does not mean the pores in the stone are sealed, just that the surface has been polished smooth.
I don't know what to seal with, since I never had to do it.  One option is the sealer that is used on granite counter tops.  Look at the surface with a magnifier and see if it looks porous or not.  You might be able to get away without a sealer.
Gary

Offline Olive & Reid

• View Profile
    • Olive and Reid Studio
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 03:52:29 AM »
Hi again!

So I went with the acrylic without sealing and for the most part it's been fine. Just some issues with breaks in the surface, and getting the right consistency. It rubs off easily with water so am keen to seal them. I had planned to use a spray gloss varnish.

I've tested the spray varnish on a few of the stones and every time it seems to created tiny air bubbles in places under the surface. Have you ever had this issue (perhaps I'm just doing it wrong?), and any thoughts on alternatives?

Thanks

Offline Olive & Reid

• View Profile
    • Olive and Reid Studio
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 02:55:23 PM »
Quick update. I read somewhere that you really need to make sure you give the can the full minute shake it recommends, so I did that and was able to get a cleaner finish. Have done them all now, and while some have still got little spots, I don't think that they're noticeable as the stone themselves have a lot going on. I will post a pic once all is dry and done!

Kate

Offline valerie a.

• Freshman Member
  • Frenchie.Leftie.Translator & Jewelry artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 03:40:42 PM »
Oh i would like to see the finished pieces!  :)
My other IG account: @lune_hiver
Twitter/Periscope: @ferrogallique

Offline Olive & Reid

• View Profile
    • Olive and Reid Studio
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 06:24:53 AM »
Just wanted to share some pics of these agate slice wedding place cards.

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 06:48:38 AM »
They look great!  What acrylic did you use in the end?

Offline Olive & Reid

• View Profile
    • Olive and Reid Studio
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 07:45:48 AM »
They look great!  What acrylic did you use in the end?

Hi Melanie
I went with Artiste metallic acrylic (classic gold) craft paint diluted with water and then varnished with Vallejo Acrylic Gloss spray varnish.

Also tried the acrylic out on black paper (Frisk 135g black pad) while I had it. You can see the vid on Instagram.

Cheers
Kate

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 09:32:11 AM »
Oh, Kate!  That is SO pretty!!!

Janis