Author Topic: Has the Leonardt Principal gone down in quality?  (Read 3752 times)

Offline TylerH

• View Profile
Has the Leonardt Principal gone down in quality?
« on: January 14, 2018, 06:53:38 PM »
Hi all,

I have some old Leonardt Principals that I bought at the start of 2015 that write beautifully. However, I was recently watching Connie Chen's video on the Principal, and in the comments she was mentioning that Manuscript changed it to a thicker, less flexible version. Is that true? I only have 3 2015 Principals left, so I'd be pretty sad to know I'll have to find a new nib :( . I heard the modern Gillott 303 has gotten better recently, but John Neal says it still has production problems and isn't in stock... or something like that. I have no idea what other nibs compare (except for vintage nibs - and that's an addiction I refuse to start!).

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Has the Leonardt Principal gone down in quality?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:10:42 AM »
I have heard rumors of such as well but I don't use that nib often. It is so frustrating a good nib company hasn't developed a modern nib that is consistent, smooth, and with nice flexibility. As soon as I find a nib I like, the whole lot usually goes kaput.  :o
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 01:40:04 PM »
I really like the Brause 361 … but that might not be fine enough for those of you who like the Principal ;). I get nice enough hairlines with it though!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 02:00:26 PM »
Thanks @Estefa ! I don't think I have ever tried that one!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 02:16:15 PM »
Maybe you'll find it too fat, but with gouache and metallics it works quite well I think, @Erica McPhee !
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Edward

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Curran Calligraphy
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 09:58:32 AM »
Hi,

I contacted the company that makes the Leonardt nibs ( Manuscript Pen Company Ltd) and they said that their original nibs ( thicker ones ) were changed to a thinner version after calligraphers said they wanted a more flexible nib, but after a time ( not sure how long ) they decided to change it back! Not sure why, I can recall the reason if they said or not. So I guess we are stuck with the old nibs!

Edward

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 11:29:26 AM »
Were they also having a similar problem to the Hiro 41s where the coating was not right and the ink was blobbing off? I feel like I have had a couple that did that.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »
What what what?!!!! NOoooo! Say it ain't so! I haven't bought Lenny's in a while, probably since 2015, and so am unaware of this change. I loved their flexibility. They're my main nib. This news makes me very sad, but I suppose I will adapt when I run out of the good nibs...
Star

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 12:33:30 PM »
Yes, I gave up on the LP last August... I bought a batch of ten and they were horrible to write with. I was distraught for months. I thought it was me. I tried the Hunt 22, which I hated... I also tried the Hunt 101 - we didn't get on - it's like it never really gets into fifth gear, and now I'm favouring the Brause 66EF - they are pretty consistent. I do like the Gillott 303, if I find a good one, and I'm also getting some good results from the Gillott 404 - which surprises me as this is the nib I used when I first started using a pointed nib. I've gone full circle.
Meanwhile, my stomach twists when I think about the joy of writing with the LP, knowing that they have now done away with it. How could they? It was a beaut. RIP LP.

Offline Nanspire

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 02:42:39 AM »
Hello. Hopping on this thread very late! Has the Leonardt Principal EF improved again in the last couple of years since this thread was last commented on? Thanks 🤗

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 08:47:11 AM »
Yes, it has! It's interesting to revisit this. The Hiro 41s had issues with coating for quite some time. And then the others did (it seemed). But I recently used a few Leonardt Principal EFs I had ordered in the past couple months and they were great!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Nanspire

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 05:42:45 AM »
Yes, it has! It's interesting to revisit this. The Hiro 41s had issues with coating for quite some time. And then the others did (it seemed). But I recently used a few Leonardt Principal EFs I had ordered in the past couple months and they were great!

Thanks a lot for your reply 💖. Will order some! 🤗

Offline Daniel McGill

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 02:30:02 AM »

Thank you for coming back to us. It what way we’re they great? Were they more flexible? Finer in the tip? I just want to know these things before I purchase them again for the first time in years.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 08:58:00 PM »
It worked as it should. I just ordered 10 from Paper & Ink Arts. They should be here in about a week. If you want to wait, I will try to remember to report back once I get them!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Daniel McGill

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 04:56:41 PM »
It worked as it should. I just ordered 10 from Paper & Ink Arts. They should be here in about a week. If you want to wait, I will try to remember to report back once I get them!  :-*

Please do  :)

It would be a dream to find out that the LPEF has returned to how it once was, before the Manuscript Pen Company decided to make it "beginner-friendly"