Author Topic: introduction  (Read 243 times)

Offline Boots55

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
introduction
« on: March 03, 2021, 03:11:01 PM »
Hi! I am a left-handed calligrapher and have had the good fortune of selling a lot of my work. I have recently tried to master copperplate. I quickly learned the letter-bodies and was able to produce a acceptable product using brush pen,pencil, or ball point. I , however failed miserably trying to use a dip pen so wanted to join this forum with the hope I could get some professional help from the erudite.   I look forward to being part of the finicky community.    Rick

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 05:51:13 PM »
Hi Rick!
Copperplate is definitely tricky being a lefty. But I am sure you can do it once you determine the best approach that works for you. As you probably already are aware, there are several different approaches you can take. Some hook their hand, some write from the bottom up, and others work with their paper at an extreme tilt.

I like John DeCollibus's approach. He uses an oblique holder.

This whole board has: Tips for Lefties.

This was a great topic: Using an Oblique for lefties.

And this great video from John DeCollibus with Tips for Left Handers

Hope that is helpful! We have quite a few lefties on the forum.
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Boots55

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: introduction
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 09:35:59 PM »
Thanks Erica! I just got some good quality finest tip brush pens from amazon and the finished product looks remarkably like real copperplate. Thankyou for the advice, it was so kind of you to write back. I will report back if dip penning has even a remote chance of working as I suppose if you think it possible there is that chance I should at least try again.