Author Topic: Montblanc scandal??  (Read 210 times)

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
Montblanc scandal??
« on: September 11, 2021, 11:19:21 AM »
So…has anyone else been following with interest the revelation that Montblanc has been releasing the same ink under different names? As I understand it, some inks that have previously been released as a limited edition under one name (eg an ink called Rebel Red in 2019 has been relabelled as Conan Doyle in 2021 as another limited Ed.  it is exactly the same ink, and has been confirmed by the company as such!) and this is not the only example.  So what do we think of this then folks?? I think it’s a bit naughty for a prestigious company like MB.  If I was a customer I’d feel pretty miffed if I discovered I’d bought the same product in a different packet… on the other hand is it merely clever marketing on the company’s part?? Would you argue that it’s the same as Coke or a liquor company using ltd ed. packaging for their products to boost sales?? I would say not, because these organisations make it clear that the packaging is limited, not the product.  What say you FF’ers?

If you want to see the statement from MB and more info on other duplicates found check out @fountainpenmemes on IG
Nikki x

Offline TeresaS

• View Profile
Re: Montblanc scandal??
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 12:31:59 PM »
I vote naughty.  It would make me feel taken or scammed if I was a customer.
Teresa

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 11:07:03 PM »
I suppose in the bigger picture, it doesn’t really matter because ink is ink. But it does seem less than honest and like they are scamming their customers with a marketing ploy.

I guess that is as juicy a scandal as we can hope for in the fountain pen world.  ;D
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 05:48:37 AM »
Well, for me it would be ok if they are honest and specify that the limited edition is just the packaging and not the ink. I am always in the fear that if I purchase a limited edition ink and I like it, there is no more of it never! But... I would be really happy to purchase a beautiful bottle with a fancy sticker of "whatever cool thing 2021 limited edition" and then refill it with the very same "boring normal color ink" knowing the ink is the same.

But at the same time I would feel scammed if the next year I purchase the "whatever even cooler thing 2022 limited edition" with the promise of a new exciting ink, and it results in being exactly the same. That's not good! And for me it would end with no more purchases of that brand because I would be always thinking they want to scam me.
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 10:56:09 PM »
Limited editions are a bugbear for me.

In the world of fountain pens limited edition can often (but not always) mean nothing but a change of material - a different plastic for example.  The sort of change that has no bearing on the function of the pen.  This kind of limited edition plays on FOMO to generate quick cash and publicity for the brand.  It is marketing cynicism 101.

In the world of inks it is baffling that a limited edition could be so incredibly popular and yet the brand won't add it to their regular line-up.  I say incredible because often LE inks are more or less the same price as regular inks (although there are brands that gouge).  A classic example is Deep Lilac by Lamy.  This was an amazing ink.  Same price as regular, and it sold out really fast.  If they had kept it as a regular ink their customer base would have been overjoyed. Instead, for reasons unknown to us, they basically signalled that they didn't give a damn about their customers and stopped production.  This doesn't help with their brand image one bit, so it's a weird decision to make.

Overall I get the impression that brands don't really tap into the vibe of the writing (by hand) community.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 12:38:42 PM »

That is such a good assessment. Agree!
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook