Author Topic: Posture and Ergonomics  (Read 44999 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Posture and Ergonomics
« on: September 08, 2015, 11:39:14 PM »
There have been several threads regarding proper posture and ergonomics and Jean made a great suggestion of creating a thread to discuss it that would be easily accessible. So please feel free to share any tips you have on proper posture and correct ergonomics to avoid injuries.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Posture and Ergonomics
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 12:34:14 AM »
1.  Sitting on the edge of your chair helps you sit up straight (learned this in band class).

2.  Michael Sull said in his seminar at the SF Pen Show that his penmanship teacher (the one who actually studied with Zaner and taught Mr. Sull Spencerian writing) insisted that part of his lessons consist of "shadowboxing" and other exercises to build upper body strength.
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline ExtrasbyAlaina

• View Profile
    • Extras by Alaina
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 06:15:10 AM »
I am so grateful for this thread! I've been taking the advice posted in other threads and this topic is so valuable for longevity and health. One of the biggest things that's been helping my shoulder pain is sitting higher up. I didn't realize how low my chair was until I started sitting atop a booster. Brings back my childhood restaurant days, but this time - no tears!

Offline kmedina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 12:21:54 PM »
This might help. It is a video for beginners by Harvest Crittenden of Acorn Arts. She was one of the amazing instructors at IAMPETH this year. Someone recommended it to me some time ago. She goes over a bit about posture and positioning and many other very important basics that are good fundamentals.

Here is the link:

Hope this helps!

Kelly
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:23:47 PM by kmedina »
INSTAGRAM: @kellymariecalligraphy

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 08:54:52 PM »
This might help. It is a video for beginners by Harvest Crittenden of Acorn Arts. She was one of the amazing instructors at IAMPETH this year. Someone recommended it to me some time ago. She goes over a bit about posture and positioning and many other very important basics that are good fundamentals.

Here is the link:

Hope this helps!

Kelly

Harvest's demonstration for finding the proper height of the desk is excellent and I agree that it is essential to be sitting at the right height.
If you are short, and you raise yourself to the proper height, then you might find that your feet no longer reach the floor.
It will not work to just leave your feet dangling.
You need to find something to rest your feet on - like a low foot stool or a box.
If you have a pneumatic chair with a 4 or 5 wheel base, you may be able to rest your feet on the base-spokes that hold the wheels.

Harvest also mentions that she loads her broad edge nibs with a brush, rather than dipping, but dips pointed nibs.
I prefer to load pointed nibs as well, so you might want to try that. It may take longer but you don't have to stop and clean your nib as often.

While Harvest stresses the importance of not hunching over, I'd like to hammer that point harder.
She also talks about avoiding the death grip. Again....that is probably one of the most damaging things you can do to your entire body.
She is so gentle in how she explains everything....I'm not sure beginners understand how much damage you can do with a hunched over death grip.

Carpal tunnel, numb knuckles and fingers, tennis elbow, shoulder issues, neck and back issues.
After you do the damage, you can heal, but whichever part you damage will become your weak spot and you will be prone to aches and pains in that area forever.
Please heed her gentle warning....

Take breaks - every 15-20 minutes, get up , walk around, stretch. Look out the window.
Yoga is a great way to work out the knots.

Maybe someone can repost the information about the thing to sit on that someone recommended.

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:16:54 PM »
I keep a box under my desk that I put my feet on or else they don't really touch the floor when I have my chair at the right height. I've never really cared about being on the shorter side until the difficulties I've had getting my chair to the right height lol. Doing calligraphy anywhere other than my desk is always a challenge.

In another thread talking about ergonomics (http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=3234.0) I talked about the Back Joy seat cushion that helps keeps you sitting up straight. This is a permanent staple at my desk.

I wanted to ask if anyone has used any of the ergonomic nib holders out there? I'm more curious about the Heebs holders and Chris Yokes' ergo replica holders because those are high on my list haha, but I'd love to hear what anyone's thoughts are on any ergo holders.

Offline ExtrasbyAlaina

• View Profile
    • Extras by Alaina
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 06:36:14 AM »
I wanted to ask if anyone has used any of the ergonomic nib holders out there? I'm more curious about the Heebs holders and Chris Yokes' ergo replica holders because those are high on my list haha, but I'd love to hear what anyone's thoughts are on any ergo holders.

I've been loveloveloving my Yoke carrot oblique - the thicker grip absolutely helps me avoid the death grip and I've been able to eliminate my hand/wrist pain this way. Plus, it's pink  8)

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 04:25:08 PM »
@Raayynuh

I have a couple obliques (Peerless and PIA Adjustable Hourglass), and I was pretty comfortable with them.
Then at the SF Pen Show, I tried one of Michael Sull's obliques, and my hand immediately felt more comfortable.  It was a weird feeling.  I did not have time to study why my hand felt more comfortable, but it did.  So there is something valid about how your hand fits the holder, or the holder fits your hand.  I also recognize that it is NOT a one size fits all.  My hand is small and the holder that I liked could be uncomfortable to someone else with a larger hand or longer fingers.  So ergo also has to fit YOUR hand.

Having said all that, I still like and use my much less expensive Peerless Oblique holder.
I guess I also like the variety, so I can choose which holder to use.
Gary

Offline andy277

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 01:15:22 AM »

I recently picked up a vintage Strahm holder and loved it so much I had to buy another. I had not used an ergonomic holder before, vintage or modern, so it was a bit of a revelation. I thought these Strahms might be too big for me as I have small hands but they just fit so well I now find it hard to go back to a typical thin hourglass-shaped holder. However, as Mr Yoke points out in his video on ergonomic holders, they are really designed for the original palm-down grip, not the modern rest-on-the-side-of-your-hand grip, so if this is going to be an issue for you, you will want to think carefully before you buy.

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 02:55:29 PM »

I recently picked up a vintage Strahm holder and loved it so much I had to buy another. I had not used an ergonomic holder before, vintage or modern, so it was a bit of a revelation. I thought these Strahms might be too big for me as I have small hands but they just fit so well I now find it hard to go back to a typical thin hourglass-shaped holder. However, as Mr Yoke points out in his video on ergonomic holders, they are really designed for the original palm-down grip, not the modern rest-on-the-side-of-your-hand grip, so if this is going to be an issue for you, you will want to think carefully before you buy.

That's perfect Andy, thank you. Since I've started calligraphy I've been trying to stick to the original palm-down grip, and find it hard sometimes with the obliques shaped similarly to pens because my hand naturally wants to tilt the same way I write in my everyday writing. I've been looking into a holder that would help guide my hand more to the traditional grip. Good info!

Offline andy277

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 06:55:35 PM »
You’re welcome, Elaina.

Have you checked out Christopher Yoke's video on YouTube on ergonomic penholders? That would give you a good idea of which style to go for. It is possible to hold the Strahm in the modern grip, though it’s not designed for that, and the Gmeiner looks somewhat similar, so I’d say the Skeels is probably the one that most forces you to use the traditional hold. But drop Mr Yoke an email; I'm sure he’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have over which model is best. If you’re like me, you won’t want to go back to the Zanerian-style hourglass once you’ve used an ergonomic penholder. I’ve found the traditional stance has improved my writing too.

Offline lemonpassion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »

I'll admit that I didn't like the ergo holder at first because the shape was too weird for my hand. It took me some time (and a lot of practice) before I learned how to use it properly. But I feel that it did help me with my "death grip". Nowadays, I start warming up with my Heebs holder and change to a different one if the mood strikes. Hope this helps!
Hi, I'm Mapet!
Instagram! | Flickr

Offline andy277

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 03:32:09 AM »
Which is the Heebs holder? I don’t know if I’ve seen that one of his.

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 10:34:33 AM »
Which is the Heebs holder? I don’t know if I’ve seen that one of his.

He posts his work here: https://instagram.com/imheebs/  hand carved ergo oblique holders.

Offline andy277

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 08:31:57 PM »
Heebs does nice work. Are these designed for the traditional hold? I was surprised when I saw Jake Weidmann using one of his ergonomic holders in a video and realised that it was for the modern grip. Still, I guess the modern grip can benefit from an ergonomic holder too.