Author Topic: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 2  (Read 60791 times)

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 2
« Reply #180 on: October 29, 2018, 04:38:39 AM »
One more try, a day later and 8 hours more of practice. I went back to Group I and practiced the letter stems, and tried to figure out just where I was beginning to go haywire. I think I'm improving a little after more practice on the inverted i's and compound strokes. I find going back really helps keep me more on track. I am quick to develop bad habits.
Sorry for so many posting of practice sheets. I just feel it changes daily. Looking forward to your input and guidance, as always.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2018, 08:25:50 AM »
@NevadaDeb

This is now much more consistent Debi. The spacing has become quite wide, however, that is o.k. if it is what you want but the underturn-to-overturn connections will create light spots at this spacing - compare the m-y join to the t-h join in 'myth'. The extra space is coming from a tendency to draw round curves for the turns at the base line. The roundness of the turns is an illusion created by the combination of the taper in the shaded stroke and the angle of the hairline.

Other than the spacing, the structure and slant consistency looks good.

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2018, 10:33:50 AM »
Hi Salman,

No, wide is NOT what I want. I was just a stepping stone for "old eyes" to see where I kept screwing up the entrance and exits and joins. I have a problem of practicing too much, and developing poor habits from repetition. So I exaggerated the wide spacing to show that I was trying to get better branching connections. It wasn't where I wanted to go, but where I was at in a very problematic area. I'm now starting to tighten up the spacing. Thank you for bearing with me, and for your patience. I value your feedback, and am backing off on practicing so much because I realize I'm my own worst enemy. I do love this thought that you shared: "The roundness of the turns is an illusion created by the combination of the taper in the shaded stroke and the angle of the hairline." One day, I hope it all comes together --eye, mind, hand, fingers. Thank you for not giving up on me and for being so patient with all my trials and errors!

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2018, 11:36:39 PM »
Thursday, November 1, 2018 practice. Working on hairlines, overturns, underturns and mostly diligently on trying to get the slant more consistent in upstrokes.

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2018, 11:48:06 AM »
Wednesday, November 8 practice.

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2018, 08:31:09 PM »
November 10, 2018 Practice. Not sure if I'm progressing or regressing. Still working on the elements advised: joins, symmetry, shade consistency, counter consistency, slant/angle consistency. I'm still working in groups of 5, but still having problems getting two lines of words with consistency. I'd be all set if I could just "cut and paste" a better word from all the attempts. Hah! I'm a bit frustrated that I am still struggling with my hand-eye coordination, but I keep reminding myself it's about the journey, and that I'm 70, not 30. Then I take a deep breath, stretch, and go play with the dog for a while. It helps. Thank you for sticking with me, even though it's taking me such a long time to find the consistency I long for. It must be even more frustrating for you to keep reminding me of the same things. But....Please don't give up on me! I'm very serious about wanting to learn, and I won't give up.

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2018, 03:57:48 PM »
A week after last post. Slow progress, but I think, progress.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #187 on: November 21, 2018, 12:26:14 PM »
@NevadaDeb

So sorry for missing so many posts Debi. The system stopped sending me emails for some reason. 

I am quite pleased with the letter forms, slant consistency and spacing of the last exercise. The only issue is that the shade thickness varies a bit but you can work on that as we move along. I think you are ready to take on the next group :-)

- Salman

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 24, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »
Salman, thank you! You made my year by allowing me to move on into Group 3. I’ve been nervous about moving on, as I know those oval letterforms are tricky and will likely take me a couple months to feel comfortable and get any semblance of consistency. But as you say, “the fun begins.” I realize that’s tongue in cheek, but it is fun to attempt to make new movements, and move into those lovely ovals, even if it’s a super challenging thing. Thank you again for all your guidance! I’ve enjoyed group 2 immensely, even though those compound curves have been daunting. I’m anxious to begin a new challenge!

Offline Vipul

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 23, 2019, 03:23:53 PM »
Hi @Salman Khattak

Getting frustrated and hence turning to you again for help. Unable to get the group 2 (over turn & compound stroke) right. Been filling pages, but somehow seem lost. Tried to reverse the 'u' for the over turn, but somehow not getting it. I think I am missing something, and not about to place my finger on it. Please suggest something.

The compound stroke seems to be at an off angle, and the space between the second stroke and compound turn always seems higher visually, even if it measures correct. If reduced, the letter appears odd. 😣😣

Thanks,
Vipul

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #190 on: December 21, 2020, 03:57:04 PM »
Hi @Vipul - I know it has been a long time and am not sure if you're still interested in feedback but this might help someone.

I don't see much wrong with the stroke, or its angle, but I do see that you are turning short on both the waist and base lines. This tendency is quite common so you are not alone in doing this. The fact that you see something wrong means you are beginning to identify nuances of form better - it is both a blessing and a curse :-) You will see a difference if you include the waist and base lines in your stroke, the shaded part will cover more of the stroke and it will look better balanced against the inverted 'i's in the letter.

Remember guidelines are just that - guides, they are not bars in a cage to keep the letters in :-)

I hope this helps.

- Salman

Offline Vipul

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 21, 2020, 08:17:34 PM »
Hi @Salman.
It's great to see you back here. Been a while and a long journey. The feedback is very helpful and I think I've been able to overcome that particular problem over time without understanding the reason. Good to know why it was there.
Attached is something I wrote a bit back @ 8mm. Been unable to write much these days due to..... Life. Experimenting a bit with flourishing, but you'll see that the group 2 has been taken care of 😊
Anyway, hope you're here for good and inspiring & teaching many more like me.
BTW, still awaiting your majuscule tutorials 😝
Regards
Vipul

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #192 on: December 22, 2020, 12:09:53 PM »
Good to hear from you Vipul. Given your ability and dedication, I was sure you would have gone past this hiccup. I felt others might benefit from the feedback though.

I have actually been teaching in person and online - just have not had time to manage that and do it here. From the looks of the image you shared, it doesn't look like you need any help with the majuscules :-)

- Salman

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 22, 2020, 04:04:13 PM »
Wow Vipul! Incredible! That is so beautiful!!!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist