Author Topic: Paper position question (Not the 55 degree)  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Aj16hp

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Paper position question (Not the 55 degree)
« on: June 30, 2018, 03:29:49 AM »
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 04:33:52 PM by Aj16hp »

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Paper position question (Not the 55 degree)h
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 12:24:42 PM »
Great question - there have been a few threads on all the potential problems that happen if you do not learn proper posture, grip, etc.
It is even important to take a break every 20 minutes and look out a window at distant objects to avoid eyestrain.
Maybe you can find the threads -- if not, let us know and someone will probably be able to find them.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
Re: Paper position question (Not the 55 degree)h
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 12:52:08 PM »
The angle of the paper should be adjusted according to your seating position, arm placement on the desk and grip. All of these elements affect the final orientation of the holder and the way the nib is presented to the surface of the paper. Once you are comfortably seated with the arm in a relaxed position (muscle pad of upper forearm should be on the table), move the paper around such that the slit in your nib is more or less aligned with the slant guides on your guidesheet - this is the correct paper position for you.

You will have about 2-3 inches of horizontal movement in this sweet spot - your nib should always stay in this zone. Keep moving the paper every few words so your arm and hand remains in the same position. Don't worry if the paper appears to be turned too much or too little. Your work is all done in your control zone, it does not matter where the rest of the paper is facing.

I hope this helps :-)

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Aj16hp

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Paper position question (Not the 55 degree)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 04:14:54 PM »
Xxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 04:36:49 PM by Aj16hp »

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 06:13:47 PM »
Ah - that is another matter then. The slant of the board helps with regulating ink flow. The higher the angle of the writing surface, the shallower the angle of the quill and more controlled the ink flow. This angle also frees up the arm and reduces stress on the neck compared to writing on a flat surface for long periods.

It should be noted that a raised angle is used only for broad edge writing. The ink needs to flow more readily for pointed pen scripts which is why a flat surface is recommended for them. There is also a higher chance of ink running from where it is pooled in the shaded strokes if the writing surface is slanted. Another consideration is that some scripts like Engrosser's and flourishing require the paper to be moved about for different strokes which is much easier to to on a flat surface.

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline RD5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 03:13:58 AM »
What about those slanted writing  desks and writing slopes. They have a 45° angle, so less than the one Johnston uses in the picture. Think either an old school desk, or that portable slope Mr. Darcy uses in Pride and Prejudice.

Offline Aj16hp

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 04:35:24 PM »
Xxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 04:37:07 PM by Aj16hp »

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 06:44:11 PM »
What about those slanted writing  desks and writing slopes. They have a 45° angle, so less than the one Johnston uses in the picture. Think either an old school desk, or that portable slope Mr. Darcy uses in Pride and Prejudice.

Edward Johnston wrote with edged nibs not pointed ones, therefore Salman (reply #4) has described the situation perfectly;  Sloping surfaces for the best control when writing with an edged nib, and a flat surface for writing scripts with a pointed nib.

The slope surface used by Mr Darcy was probably chosen for visual effect.

A few years ago I wrote a few pages in early script for use on  a period BBC TV production. I wrote these on a flat surface with a broad-edged nib.
When they eventually appeared on the TV production, they were shown  in a scriptorium, apparently being written by an actor on a sloping desk.
On TV accuracy is less important than how it looks!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:36:29 PM by Ken Fraser »