Author Topic: an okie here!  (Read 874 times)

Offline kellyish

• Freshman Member
  • practicing the art of an ordinary life
    • View Profile
    • minding my nest
an okie here!
« on: January 26, 2014, 08:09:04 PM »
hello everyone.  just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

my name is kelly and i live in tulsa oklahoma with my husband and our daughter who is currently a junior in college.  {don't ask me how that happened...i have no idea. ;)}

i am relatively new to the art of calligraphy although i have an sincere love of words and text.  as a photographer, i love adding beautiful text to my photographs.  so many times i have found myself pulling my hair out in photoshop trying to get my words to look just right.  i just sit there thinking, "if i could just write this myself it would be so much easier".  so that's what sort of led me into trying my hand at calligraphy.  although i am discovering calligraphy isn't exactly easy.  :)  but i love it.  i actually love practicing...it's sort of meditative if that makes any sense.

been a member here for a little over a week and have had a chance to read a few of the topics and practice a couple of the pointed pen lessons.  finally after a week of practice, i was able to produce a half-way decent alphabet...although to me it still looks like an 87 year-old woman who drank 12 cups of coffee made it.  ;)

anyway, thank you to erica and everyone here for so generously sharing your art and your knowledge.  looking forward to learning from you all. 

blessings, kelly

wife, mom, mess-maker extraordinaire, not-so-empty nester.

Offline MaryZabrin

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: an okie here!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:37:48 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Kelly!
It looks like you're off to a good start.
Mary

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: an okie here!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 10:17:17 PM »
Hi Kelly,
Welcome! I agree with Mary! You're letters are coming along nicely.

I also agree in that I find calligraphy meditative as well. As long as the stars are aligned and everything is working as it should!  ;D

I'm a photographer, too. I've found so many photography+calligraphy fans! I would love to see your work with your words sometime.

Again, welcome to the forum!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram