Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 361 times)

Offline DanD

• View Profile
Hi everyone
« on: July 29, 2020, 10:59:47 AM »
Hi there,

I'm Dan, and I live in Leeds, England. I decided to have a go at copperplate calligraphy a few weeks ago and I am finding it very enjoyable. It's extremely relaxing and allows me to focus hard on one thing which I find great to unwind after a long day. The more I get into it, the more I have to learn! I seemed to make (what I thought) was good progress quickly - i.e. being able to form letters which broadly resembled those in the book I am using, but the more I did it, the more faults I saw, and the more I realised there is so much to learn and practice.

I am delighted to have found this place with all its resources and helpful members - I am sure I will get so much out of it!

See you on the threads...

Dan

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 11:47:52 AM »
Hi Dan,
I can already tell from your intro that you will become a great penman. All the signs are there.  ;D I find it so relaxing as well - almost like meditation - and definitely addictive. And it seems you have a good eye developing in terms of seeing your work with non-partial eyes. It often happens that initially we seem to be doing pretty good, and then our work takes a dive. This is usually as our brain makes the connection to what our fingers are doing and start to discern what we are actually creating. This is then usually followed by great improvement.

The fact you can see the “faults” or that which needs correcting, is great! It will help you so much in your journey. For me - this is the fun of doing calligraphy.

Welcome to Flourish!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram