General Categories > Spencerian Script

My Signature

(1/1)

Ken Fraser:
My signature in Spencerian

Zivio:
Dear @Ken Fraser, this post is very timely and instructive for me!

I have been enthralled by “signature writing” of The Golden Age of Penmanship from the beginning of my own Spencerian journey just a few years ago, but it has been way beyond my skill level. 

Until recently, the only description of the technique I’d encountered was in Michael & Debra Sull’s “Learning to Write Spencerian Script,” where they but touch briefly on the topic. Michael’s newest “Sull’s Manual of Advanced Penmanship” goes into more detail. In particular, he describes three approaches to joining the majuscules: overlapping joins, natural joins and direct joins. This alone demystified what had otherwise been incomprehensible to me, and I’ve now enjoyed studying historical examples with “new eyes” to identify these techniques and understand the process a bit better. I have also just begun putting in some daily time sketching ideas for my own signature which also begins with a “K” (initials “KAS”).  So far I’ve seen far too few examples with “K” as the starting letter, and I like your treatment! 

It will yet be a while before I’m satisfied with the flow and balance of my own creation, and then a longer while before I can execute it, but I’m now feeling as though it will be possible.

There will not be sufficient years of practice remaining for me ever to gain your level of experience and skill, but I do continue to learn from your virtuosity and am grateful you share it here with us!

tiffany.c.a:
Wonderful flow, so expertly done!

tiffany.c.a:
@Zivio, have you also seen the Stephen Ziller manual, Book #3, on “Card Writing” from the At Home With Artistic Penwork series? It gives some signature examples (most using Spencerian) and short notes on each. The notes might not be instructive enough for what you are wanting right now but the examples might be helpful.
Also, Book #2 “Artistic Writing” shows various connections of two or three capitals for practice.
Glad the Sull book has helped.

Zivio:

--- Quote from: tiffany.c.a on March 11, 2024, 07:27:42 PM ---@Zivio, have you also seen the Stephen Ziller manual, Book #3, on “Card Writing” from the At Home With Artistic Penwork series? It gives some signature examples (most using Spencerian) and short notes on each. The notes might not be instructive enough for what you are wanting right now but the examples might be helpful.
Also, Book #2 “Artistic Writing” shows various connections of two or three capitals for practice.
Glad the Sull book has helped.

--- End quote ---

Oh! Yes, I actually have both of those Ziller manuals but lost track of them a bit since they are in electronic format on my iPad. I'd actually copied and pasted the capital "joins" from #2 into a more easily accessible document, and they had been helpful! I had not used or looked at #3 for quite awhile. Just taking a look again now and there are tons of great examples to study there!

Your heads up on this is very much appreciated -- THANKS!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version