Author Topic: Old practice sheets - what do you do?  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Doesy

• View Profile
Old practice sheets - what do you do?
« on: February 04, 2017, 03:54:11 PM »
So I was haphazardly cleaning up my desk area this morning when I found a thick folder of old practice sheets. I generally check my old sheets to make certain I've used both sides then either write more on them or recycle them (making little origami boxes and containers, really messy looking envelopes, weed barrier in the garden etc).

As I was checking out the used papers for any available writing area left I wondered if I should be saving a few pages just as a record of my progression (haha! more like regression) in whatever I'm trying to learn. It might be a good reminder to myself when I get impatient with my slow progress in a new hand. On the other hand, maybe it would just be a reminder of my slow progress in all things calligraphy.  :)

What do you do?

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
Re: Old practice sheets - what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 04:33:51 PM »
I throw all of mine out, BUT I take pictures of a good 1/2 to 3/4 of my work, so I have a digital record of my improvement.

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 12:28:18 AM »
I use a lot of Onion skin paper and Tomoe River paper for practise.  They are very thin sheets (50 gsm) 

So after practise I do this..... :)
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline FirebirdArts

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 10:18:18 AM »
@prasad : those would make AMAZING gifts...

Offline ChristenAllocco

• View Profile
    • Allocco Design and Crafts
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 11:04:26 AM »

What do you do?

I actually did this a few months ago. So. Many. Practice. Pages. I kept some of my better ones and saved pages that had useful notes on them. I also kept a few practice pieces, things like quotes or pretty names. I dated them as best I could (I ended up sorting mine by season). I really value seeing improvement and documenting my journey. I have everything in a folder sorted by each hand I've learned and organized by date.

I do a lot of handwritten logos and designs, so I save a bunch of my unused concepts and tests because they often inspire me for future work. So that's something to keep in mind too when you're sorting.

I really like the idea of making envelopes or using them for crafts. @prasad has inspired me to make some paper roses with my drill pages now!
Christen
Instagram

ash0kgiri

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 04:43:50 AM »
Never thought of this @prasad. This is wonderful. I have chronologically arranged my sheets and I glance through them once in a while.
Feels good :D

Offline vonking1980

• View Profile
    • MyAmari
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 06:28:16 AM »
Rolled paper baskets, quilling, paper weaving (see Pinterest for tutorials ) If you have the time, anyway. It's pretty tedious but would look stellar with bits of calligraphy showing. Thank you for mentioning this because I have the same pile going on and it was destined for the recycle bin.

Offline JohnK

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 06:59:24 PM »
I like to cut up a practice page vertically into bookmarks.  It's practical, and the resultant fragments of writing acquire a mystery that they never had as practice sentences.  But alas, even the most voracious reader only needs so many bookmarks...

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 04:23:34 PM »
When I first started out, I kept many of my practice sheets, dated them, and kept them in ring binders. As I was self taught and had no contact with other calligraphy students I found them to be a very useful guide as to my progress.

Offline Elizgadus59

• I LOVE LETTERS!!!
    • View Profile
    • Elizscriptscalligraphy
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 10:30:01 PM »

Confucius  say: It doesn't matter how slowly you go.... as long as you get there. Make things out of them. That's what I would do.  What Fonts are you trying to learn?  Which is your favorite?- Elizabeth

Offline markc1975

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 04:26:40 AM »
Hello all,

I saw this thread and thought I'd share what I do, as I like to make things from old practise sheets.  I enjoy origami too, like @prasad, and made this swan from some practise sheets.  It's Rhodia Ivory paper, and the end result looks really nice with flecks of calligraphy showing through the folded paper.

I posted this on the Loveleigh Loops facebook page at the weekend, and it went down well there, so though I would share with the friendly bunch on the Flourish Forum.

Kindest regards,

Mark

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 09:01:57 AM »
Mark, that's terrific. How many sheets does that swan take to make?

Offline markc1975

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 01:11:18 PM »
Hello @AnasaziWrites thank you for your kind words.

Apologies for the pictures, didn't realise they were on their side.

A swan takes 12 A4 pages I think.  I am going to do a different model next and maybe make a pen holder to keep my calligraphy pens in.

I have been asked for a tutorial, so I will try and put one together if there's any interest.  It's a lot of folding through!

Kind regards,

Mark

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 01:23:34 PM »
Wow! That is amazing @markc1975 ! I'm so happy you shared with us! Beautiful!

And your origami @prasad is so lovely!

I cut my practice pages into quarters and stack them to use as scrap paper and notepads. But I'm going to have to consider branching out! Or folding up as it seems.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

ash0kgiri

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 05:24:03 AM »
Stunning @markc1975. Thank you for sharing this beauty! Please do share the tutorial.
I have kept all my practice sheets so that I could refer to them later as part of my journey.

-Ashok