Author Topic: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen  (Read 124534 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen
« Reply #210 on: April 15, 2023, 02:24:44 PM »
I LOVE the Brause Rose nibs! With that said, they are a bit temperamental. Sometimes it takes a bit of finesse to get them going. But once they do, they create beautiful shades and nice hairlines!

Handmade paper is always a challenge because by its nature, it has more loose fibers. I like to use the Zebra G or Nikko G because the nib is a bit stiffer which means less splats. However, they are pretty sharp points so I try to break it in a bit first before going to the hand made. And then go very slowly with a gentle touch.

Hope that helps!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline USNavyVet

• Freshman Member
  • Combat Veteran (U.S. Navy)
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 15, 2023, 06:18:33 PM »
As far as making the nibs goes, standard nibs anyway, they are relatively simple. It's tempering the metal after rounding that is where the real science comes in. The nibs need to be flexible but also strong. It's a fine balance to temper metal to that point.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2023, 05:34:54 PM »
I do like the thins of the current Leonardt Principal EF but it is rather inconsistent in quality. God Bless Brian Walker (Rest in Peace) for his efforts on our behalf.
I would venture to say Brian would be appalled at the quality level of these nibs. I've resisted buying these for years, mainly because almost every review contains the "but" about their consistency. Having heard over and over that "It's my favorite nib," six months ago I bought a ten pack of these (in a nice decorative tin), and gave them a close look and test.
Of the ten nibs, nine were either splayed or had misaligned tines or both. That makes the one good nib pretty expensive. Not to say you can't get some adequate results from the ones with uneven tines, but if that's all you're using, you might not realize that better results are possible.
I do hope one of these days one of the go-getters develop a nib that is of the quality of ‘back in the day.’
Sadly, I agree with others that the economics are against it.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2023, 09:27:28 PM »
Well that stinks!  >:(  So frustrating. It is one reason I stick with Zebra G most of the time. You don’t get the delicate hairlines but they really are quite reliable. Although I have been loving my Hunt 101’s recently. And once you get past the breaking in point, they can be rather hardy.

Have you tried the vintage Blanzy 2552? Delightful little thing. Just wish they weren’t so darn expensive.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 19, 2023, 05:53:45 PM »
Well that stinks!  >:(  So frustrating. It is one reason I stick with Zebra G most of the time. You don’t get the delicate hairlines but they really are quite reliable. Although I have been loving my Hunt 101’s recently. And once you get past the breaking in point, they can be rather hardy.

Have you tried the vintage Blanzy 2552? Delightful little thing. Just wish they weren’t so darn expensive.
Can't know if you're responding to me or not, but here goes.
@Erica McPhee

I have a couple of boxes of those--a decent nib.
Right now on eBay there are ten boxes for sale here for less than $50/box--very cheap for such a good nib.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165630090278

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 19, 2023, 09:18:54 PM »
Yes, I was responding to you @AnasaziWrites ! Good find! Thanks!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline lizt2

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 26, 2024, 05:49:05 PM »
The first nib I ever bought was a Hunt 56 and I didn't know anything about nibs.  It was a vintage brass nib - which are still available on E-bay.  They aren't cheap but the brass/hand ground ones last for such a long time if we remember to care of them properly.

I also love a Zebra G that is very hard to get -   It looks like a regular Nikko G nib, except that there is a blue dot on the back side.  This dot is ink and it comes off when you wash your nib.  Then, the only way to tell it apart from the regular Nikko G is to use it.  You will see that it has a medium flex instead of a stiff flex.  It was much easier for me than the regular Nikko G.  But, you can only get it from Japan or from someone who got them in Japan.  I wish there was a way to get more.  I even sent an email to Jet Pens telling them about the nib and they seemed excited about the information but I never heard anything back.

Like you said, Erica, the Blanzy 2552 is really nice as well.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2024, 12:12:59 AM »
Kismet! Love the Hunt 56! I have a small stash of vintage ones and whenever I use one I am reminded of how much I like them.

Do you think the Zebra G you are talking about is different from the regular Zebra G? I look on Amazon Japan and they have Nikko G, Zebra G, and the Tachikowa G. But I didn’t see any with a blue dot.

I find the Zebra G to be more flexible than the Nikko G anyway. You can get them on Amazon affiliate link .
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram