Author Topic: Valentine's Day Cards  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Rachael

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Valentine's Day Cards
« on: January 27, 2017, 12:00:27 AM »
Part of me wanted to put this in the Business section, the other part wanted to put it in the Flourish section. But I decided to do it in here to get some constructive criticism on my design. 

I'm doing Valentine's Day cards, but nerd style!! What do you guys think of the rough draft?

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day Cards
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 07:50:47 AM »
This is really neat and pleasing overall...but at the same time, I don't understand. I see the y - o - u at the bottom, although I find some of the flourishes detract from the letter shapes. And what is the flourish supposed to be? I'm sorry, but I've stared and stared and I can't tell...
Star

Offline brd4790

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 05:38:35 PM »
@RachelS very cute! Maybe spell out "ewe" instead of "you" to make the joke clearer - since it's clear the flourish is a ewe once you get the joke, but otherwise it's not. The placement of the "o" would be better at the bottom IMO (or w in case you change to "ewe"). Nice attempt on the flourish! Have you done animal flourishes before?? I know you were asking for references before. Also, in the final design maybe add some elements to make it clearly valentine-ish.. that will really make it come together.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:44:10 PM by brd4790 »
Kindest Regards,
Brad

Offline Rachael

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 10:15:29 PM »
This is really neat and pleasing overall...but at the same time, I don't understand. I see the y - o - u at the bottom, although I find some of the flourishes detract from the letter shapes. And what is the flourish supposed to be? I'm sorry, but I've stared and stared and I can't tell...

The Flourish is Pikachu! :)

Offline Rachael

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 10:19:32 PM »
@RachelS very cute! Maybe spell out "ewe" instead of "you" to make the joke clearer - since it's clear the flourish is a ewe once you get the joke, but otherwise it's not. The placement of the "o" would be better at the bottom IMO (or w in case you change to "ewe"). Nice attempt on the flourish! Have you done animal flourishes before?? I know you were asking for references before. Also, in the final design maybe add some elements to make it clearly valentine-ish.. that will really make it come together.

Actually it's Pikachu lol. The most well known quote from Pokemon is "I choose you!".

I love the idea for adding more Valentine elements to make it pulled together. And no I have never done animal flourishes! This was my first time.

Offline brd4790

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
hahaha.. that's so funny. I see it! I thought it was a ewe's face / head and it was a play on words... lol.
wow I feel just a little embarrassed   :-[... I'm such a know it all ;) haha.

It's very cool - the delicate stokes on the Pikachu ears are beautiful. First time? that's great - i'm sure you'll be a pro in no time.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 10:27:31 PM by brd4790 »
Kindest Regards,
Brad

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 07:01:39 AM »
To be honest, I didn't recognize the Pikachu at all. I thought the "O" was a head of some sort. Maybe try coloring it the way a Pikachu is colored to make it more obvious?
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Rachael

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 12:37:52 AM »
To be honest, I didn't recognize the Pikachu at all. I thought the "O" was a head of some sort. Maybe try coloring it the way a Pikachu is colored to make it more obvious?

That's kind of hard to do. I don't have that many colors at my disposable. I could do gold! Honestly though I was thinking about just drawing Pikachu, along with Squirtle and the others. Would be more fun for me.