Author Topic: How to Mix Gouache  (Read 65231 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: How to Mix Gouache
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2016, 11:53:05 AM »
@prasad Do you know if there is a different name for gouache? Thanks!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2016, 12:22:59 PM »
The only words I could quickly google up are a couple of local variants:   guazzo (italian), leimfarbe (german).   The Japanese brand I use refers to it as "poster paint".   From Google Translate I observe that most European countries use "gouache" (or a spelling variant thereof), but in Hindi for instance they give "gouache" as the translation... (so much for Google Translate)

I am sure this sort of paint is used in elementary schools all over the globe, there is surely a local expression.

ash0kgiri

« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2016, 02:16:19 PM »
Hi Erica, ericp

Thats so nice of you to help me with the translation.
Is it Poster colour used for paint. The images that i saw on google shows long paint tubes. Let me go to an art shop and try to find if i cant find it.
Another reason for me to visit the store :D.

Thanks,
Ashok

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2016, 03:48:02 PM »
Gouache is opaque watercolor and is not the same as poster paint used in elementary schools. Professional sign painters who letter posters and show cards might use gouache which might be why the word poster would be associated with a water based opaque paint. The gouache needed for lettering with nibs needs to be the paint that comes in small tubes. Good quality gouache is fairly expensive. Inexpensive gouache does not perform very well with nibs.

Poster paint used in elementary schools would be ok with a brush but probably would t work very well with a nib. Maybe someone wants to try it and let us know.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2016, 08:16:44 PM »
Good explanation from Jean. However, I have bought the cheap gouache at Walmart and it works quite well with pointed pen.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2016, 08:57:08 PM »
Good explanation from Jean. However, I have bought the cheap gouache at Walmart and it works quite well with pointed pen.

i should have included the full disclaimer about what works and what doesn't work....
because it always depends on the nib and paper.
you never know what's going to work until you try it.
if you can't get good results with the first brand you try - you can't assume that other brands will give the same results.
another thing with gouache - even within one brand, different colors behave differently.
some colors are slimy - others are notorious for separating - so you have to stir a lot more often.

and - regular watercolor is also very nice for lettering. again, i prefer the more expensive brands, but there are probably people who prefer the less expensive brands.

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2016, 10:06:49 PM »
I have tried the Reeves gouache from Michaels with a broad nib and found that to get it to flow I had to dilute it until it was no longer opaque.  I haven't tried other inexpensive brands.  I have gotten good results with the Holbein Artist's Gouache and was able to buy a set of 18 x 5ml tubes from Amazon for a decent price which has been perfect for experimentation.  Nice, smooth "ink" that flows like a dream!

For regular water colors, though, if you want to try calligraphy with them, for broad edge I have even just used the crayola set you can get in most kid's art sections.  A Prang set of 16 colors is also nice--better quality and not too expensive. 
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2016, 11:05:35 PM »
@prasad Do you know if there is a different name for gouache? Thanks!
Hi Erica,

Thanks for sharing this video and this is something really new to me. Never heard of 'gouache'. But after reading these post i want to try it for sure. Don't know if i would get that in India. Is there any other name for it? Or someone from India who has bought it can help me out.

Ashok

HI Erica and Ashok,
@Erica McPhee   
@ash0kgiri
It's called Gouache here as well.
These are the places you can get it at Ashok.
This shop is in Kolkotta

http://creativehands.in/paints/gouache/designers-gouache.html

The other shop is in Mumbai
This brand is out of stock right now. I have used these and they are quite good.
http://www.himalayafineart.com/Product/1050/Daler+Rowney+Designers+Gouache+15ml+Tubes.aspx

This one is  a bit more expensive but in stock
http://www.himalayafineart.com/Product/911/Schmincke+Horadam+Gouache+15ml+Tubes.aspx

-Prasad

PS: This @ business works really well Erica,  Thanks.   :)  Makes life easy when I get an alert in the email and can answer quickly
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:10:08 PM by prasad »
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

ash0kgiri

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2016, 10:28:37 AM »
Hi @prasad

Thanks for clarifying and sharing the links.
Right now it looks everything is out of stock :(
Let me see how i can get one.

Ashok

Offline Elizher Luz

• Freshman Member
  • Onward & Upward
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2017, 01:33:58 AM »
Thanks for the video!

Just a quick question, would watercolour work in replacement of gouache?

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2017, 08:20:11 AM »
@Elizher Luz Yes, Water colour works, but it is less opaque.