Author Topic: Black letter Flourishing?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline BenA

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Black letter Flourishing?
« on: August 14, 2018, 08:22:47 AM »
Hey all,

This is a core area I'm looking to improve my work and I find it much more difficult to apply flourishing techniques, especially at my limited ability, to my black letter pieces.  Could anyone direct me to any good resources for improving in this area?

Or any resounces on better understanding the fundamental ideas of how / when to use flourishing and I can try to apply it on my own?

Here is a piece I tried a bit of flourishing on, with mixed results: https://imgur.com/gallery/9fvMjdF
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:33:22 AM by BenA »

Online Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: Black letter Flourishing?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:18:39 PM »
Black Letter flourishing is a bit different than pointed pen (Copperplate or Spencerian) flourishing. You may find this post helpful. The link mentioned in this thread includes tips on flourishing from some of the top calligraphers in the world, many of who are referencing broad pen flourishing.

Your piece is really lovely. With broad pen, less is more is definitely the way to go.

Bill Hilldebrant's book on broad pen flourishing would be the best resource but sadly is out of print and still under copyright. Somehow, someone has uploaded a copy to scribd.com if you have a membership.

Google Books has a small preview which is worth looking at.
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline BenA

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Black letter Flourishing?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 02:38:58 PM »
Hey!

Awesome feedback thank you (and of course thank you for the compliment  :D). 

I'll definitely check out those links and see if I have any questions!