Author Topic: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen  (Read 125036 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2017, 04:39:19 PM »
Oohhhh man oh man what I wouldn't give to have a box of vintage gillott 170s.
@Bianca M
Well, it's not a full box but this listing is for 40 at $99.99, so $2.50/nib. Not a bad price for a very good nib. I'd buy them at this price if I didn't have so many already.
He also has a listing for 50 at $129.99 ($2.60/nib)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-JOSEPH-GILLOTTS-VINTAGE-170-PEN-NIBS-in-Original-Box-ENGLAND-Free-Shipping-/152388554199?hash=item237b10cdd7:g:DW8AAOSw-0xYcqtv

Offline RobertFontaine

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2017, 04:43:10 PM »
Silly question but how long do people expect these million dollar nibs to last?   Last time I checked a nib was a consumable rather than a collectable.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2017, 04:45:46 PM »
Hi Krapprot,
As for the flange issue, you might try purchasing a set of 'bail making pliers' of ebay, or similar.  Jewellery makers use them, but they are great for adjusting flanges.  Make sure you get a set with straight, rather than tapered ends, and with one end around 3mm wide.  Something like this will do http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bail-Making-Pliers-Wire-Wrapping-Consistent-Loops-Beading-Crafts-Jewellery-Tools-/152286489731?hash=item2374fb6c83:g:dHkAAOSwZJBYBxDw
If you want to adjust a flange , Chris Yoke of Yoke Pen Co. makes exactly what you need.
http://www.yokepencompany.com/collections/accessories
You could also buy a pen with an adjustable flange (from Chris, JNB or PIA).

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2017, 04:53:47 PM »
Silly question but how long do people expect these million dollar nibs to last?   Last time I checked a nib was a consumable rather than a collectable.
It will last as long as people will pay a ridiculous price.
Most of these nibs are bought by either a person "treating" themselves to one or a few just to try or say they have one, or by resellers who buy the bigger lots and raise the price on eBay to resell them, as opposed to use them.
It's important to note, a great nib does not a great penman make. Great work can be done by a host of "lesser" nibs. When people who use the nibs stop paying $10-30 for a single nib, the price will come down.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2017, 05:05:36 PM »
@AnasaziWrites well, that makes another $100 that I've spent on vintage nibs this week (and it's only Tuesday, Lord help me).  A very worthy purchase, though - those 170s are wonderful. Thank you for bringing my attention to that listing- I didn't find it in my search yesterday, but perhaps it was just posted.  You've made my day!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2017, 05:18:23 PM »
@AnasaziWrites well, that makes another $100 that I've spent on vintage nibs this week (and it's only Tuesday, Lord help me).  A very worthy purchase, though - those 170s are wonderful. Thank you for bringing my attention to that listing- I didn't find it in my search yesterday, but perhaps it was just posted.  You've made my day!
@Bianca M
Great. View it as a form of commitment to your art.
Just curious--what did you previously buy for $100?

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2017, 05:35:17 PM »
@AnasaziWrites, indeed! I bought some Blanzy 605s, Blanzy 2552s, and Velleda 2436s.  I've recently found them to be quite nice for addressing cotton envelopes with gouache- a smoother, more visible hairline, particularly useful for the lighter colors.  If I'm using black ink, a Hunt 22B or similar will do just fine on those envelopes, but not so much with, say, grey gouache.

Offline Krapprot

• Khalepą tą kalį
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2017, 06:32:49 PM »
Hi Krapprot,

I haven't tried any of the nibs you specifically mention, but they are all made by good companies.  Goode and Co are in fact made by Perry & Co, who for a time made Spencerian nibs, before manufacture moved the the US.  E.S. Perry was a company started by one of the Perry & Co family, and so are also excellent nibs.  I'm not sure about the history of the John Mitchell company, but I have tried several of their nibs, and found them to be good. 

As for the flange issue, you might try purchasing a set of 'bail making pliers' of ebay, or similar.  Jewellery makers use them, but they are great for adjusting flanges.  Make sure you get a set with straight, rather than tapered ends, and with one end around 3mm wide.  Something like this will do http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bail-Making-Pliers-Wire-Wrapping-Consistent-Loops-Beading-Crafts-Jewellery-Tools-/152286489731?hash=item2374fb6c83:g:dHkAAOSwZJBYBxDw

Melanie:

Thanks for the info both about the nibs as well as the pliers you mentioned.   I'll be buying a pair this week!

K

Offline Krapprot

• Khalepą tą kalį
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2017, 06:35:32 PM »
Bianca:

I believe I saw some on eBay recently.   You may want to do a quick search.

K

Offline Krapprot

• Khalepą tą kalį
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2017, 06:37:37 PM »
Oohhhh man oh man what I wouldn't give to have a box of vintage gillott 170s.
@Bianca M
Well, it's not a full box but this listing is for 40 at $99.99, so $2.50/nib. Not a bad price for a very good nib. I'd buy them at this price if I didn't have so many already.
He also has a listing for 50 at $129.99 ($2.60/nib)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-JOSEPH-GILLOTTS-VINTAGE-170-PEN-NIBS-in-Original-Box-ENGLAND-Free-Shipping-/152388554199?hash=item237b10cdd7:g:DW8AAOSw-0xYcqtv

Yes, those are the ones I saw too.   I hope Bianca was able to grab them in time.

Update:  It appears she was!  Great news.

K
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:40:10 PM by Krapprot »

Offline Krapprot

• Khalepą tą kalį
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2017, 06:38:48 PM »
Hi Krapprot,
If you want to adjust a flange , Chris Yoke of Yoke Pen Co. makes exactly what you need.
http://www.yokepencompany.com/collections/accessories
You could also buy a pen with an adjustable flange (from Chris, JNB or PIA).

That's awesome!   Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction.

K

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »
Thank you @Krapprot - I didn't find them in my search yesterday (not those boxes anyway!) but I did nab the box of 40 today.  Oh joy!!

Offline Krapprot

• Khalepą tą kalį
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2017, 06:45:27 PM »
If any of you have an interest in a few free Spencerian #1 nibs with a little corrosion on them, I found seven while sorting through mine yesterday.   I don't know if anyone bothers with such nibs, but they're yours for the asking.   Just post (or send) me your mailing address.   Thanks.

K
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:31:59 PM by Krapprot »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2017, 04:36:08 PM »
Hey folks,

I'm new to the Forum and just wanted to say hello.   I'm relatively new to writing with an oblique holder, so I've not yet gotten to the point where I feel I can appreciate any nib enough for it to be my favorite.   I'll get there.   These are the 16 I've got to work with, all vintage I believe:

• Brandauer "Oriental" #342 Grey Ex-Fine
  • E.S. Perry #440 Bronze Ex-Fine
  • Esterbrook #126 “Double Spring”
  • Esterbrook #128 "Extra-Fine Elastic"
  • Esterbrook #354 "Art & Drafting"
  • Esterbrook #355 "Art & Drafting"
  • Esterbrook #356 "Art & Drafting"
  • Gillott #170 "Warranted"
  • Gillott #290 "Lithographic Pen"
  • Gillott #303 Ex-Fine
  • Gillott #404 "Warranted"
  • Goode & Co. #801 Ex-Fine
  • Goode & Co. #99 Ex-Fine
  • Hinks Wells “Shell Pointed” #2438 Ex-Fine
  • John Mitchell #0286 Ex-Fine
  • Spencerian #1 “Double Elastic” Ivison Phinney & Co.

I know of the reputation of the Spencerian #1, the Gillott nibs and a couple of the Esterbrooks.   I'm quite impressed though with the E.S. Perry #440 EF, the Goode & Co #801 EF and the John Mitchell #0286 EF.   Do any of you folks work regularly with these last three?   What are your thoughts on the quality of them relative to the more prized Spencerian #1 and the Gillott nibs?

Also, I'm not able to fit the tiny ones into my oblique holder.  Any suggestions for the best place to get flanges customized to hold the tinier nibs?  Much appreciated.

K
@Krapprot
It's always fun testing new nibs. Thanks for the samples--I'll send you the original test sheet (plus a few nibs you might find interesting), as no matter how good the scan, seeing the ink with your eye is better.

I start my tests with a line of Gillott 604ef, which is what I use most for what I do, and use as a standard of comparison. Note:  there is no nib that will do everything or is best for everything. What your favorite will be will depend on many things--what script you're doing, what paper you're using, what ink, what size of letters, the lightness of your hand, etc., etc. For most of my work, I use x-fine or sharper, x-flex or softer.

My scale for sharpness runs
xxxx fine--Esterbrook 355 for example
xxx fine--Gillott 303 vintage
xx fine--Gillott 604 ef
x fine--Spencerian 1 (England)
v fine--Zebra G
fine--Nikko G
Med--Esterbrook 942

For flexibility
xxx flex--Brandauer 342
xx flex--Gillott 604ef
x flex --Spencerian 1
flex Nikko G
slight flex--Esterbrook 126
inflexible--many

Esterbrook 126--slight flex, xx fine. A good ledger pen where you don't need shades, but need to write small.
Mitchell 0286-- x flex, x fine. Good for larger Spencerian with moderate shades--don't go all Lupfer with this one.
Perry 440ef--x fine, x flex--good all around nib
Goode 99--fine, flex--most similar to a Nikko G

The Brandauer 342ef I could not give a good test, as it was sprung, but I would say its xxx-flex, x-fine (maybe sharper). Need a super light touch with this one.

(x height = 1/10 inch)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:44:20 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Krapprot

• Khalepą tą kalį
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2017, 05:24:55 PM »
@AnasaziWrites

That is just awesome.   Thanks for putting in the time and effort to give those nibs a whirl.   I'm sorry the 342 was sprung.   Did I actually send it to you that way?   If so, I'm happy to send you a couple more.

I'd love to see the original artwork.   Yes, that 126 is a bit rigid, especially for a nib called "Double Spring."  It's a sharp little beast though.   I'm most partial to the Perry 440 myself, which is what I'm currently using as my default.   I'd like to master that 342 over time, but I'm still intimidated by that beak.

Thanks again for the feedback!

K