General Categories > Open Flourish | General Discussion

Posture and Ergonomics

<< < (2/12) > >>

FlowerCityLetters:
I keep a box under my desk that I put my feet on or else they don't really touch the floor when I have my chair at the right height. I've never really cared about being on the shorter side until the difficulties I've had getting my chair to the right height lol. Doing calligraphy anywhere other than my desk is always a challenge.

In another thread talking about ergonomics (http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=3234.0) I talked about the Back Joy seat cushion that helps keeps you sitting up straight. This is a permanent staple at my desk.

I wanted to ask if anyone has used any of the ergonomic nib holders out there? I'm more curious about the Heebs holders and Chris Yokes' ergo replica holders because those are high on my list haha, but I'd love to hear what anyone's thoughts are on any ergo holders.

ExtrasbyAlaina:

--- Quote --- I wanted to ask if anyone has used any of the ergonomic nib holders out there? I'm more curious about the Heebs holders and Chris Yokes' ergo replica holders because those are high on my list haha, but I'd love to hear what anyone's thoughts are on any ergo holders.

--- End quote ---

I've been loveloveloving my Yoke carrot oblique - the thicker grip absolutely helps me avoid the death grip and I've been able to eliminate my hand/wrist pain this way. Plus, it's pink  8)

garyn:
@Raayynuh

I have a couple obliques (Peerless and PIA Adjustable Hourglass), and I was pretty comfortable with them.
Then at the SF Pen Show, I tried one of Michael Sull's obliques, and my hand immediately felt more comfortable.  It was a weird feeling.  I did not have time to study why my hand felt more comfortable, but it did.  So there is something valid about how your hand fits the holder, or the holder fits your hand.  I also recognize that it is NOT a one size fits all.  My hand is small and the holder that I liked could be uncomfortable to someone else with a larger hand or longer fingers.  So ergo also has to fit YOUR hand.

Having said all that, I still like and use my much less expensive Peerless Oblique holder.
I guess I also like the variety, so I can choose which holder to use.

andy277:

--- Quote from: Raayynuh on September 09, 2015, 10:16:54 PM ---I wanted to ask if anyone has used any of the ergonomic nib holders out there? I'm more curious about the Heebs holders and Chris Yokes' ergo replica holders because those are high on my list haha, but I'd love to hear what anyone's thoughts are on any ergo holders.

--- End quote ---

I recently picked up a vintage Strahm holder and loved it so much I had to buy another. I had not used an ergonomic holder before, vintage or modern, so it was a bit of a revelation. I thought these Strahms might be too big for me as I have small hands but they just fit so well I now find it hard to go back to a typical thin hourglass-shaped holder. However, as Mr Yoke points out in his video on ergonomic holders, they are really designed for the original palm-down grip, not the modern rest-on-the-side-of-your-hand grip, so if this is going to be an issue for you, you will want to think carefully before you buy.

FlowerCityLetters:

--- Quote from: andy277 on September 16, 2015, 01:15:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: Raayynuh on September 09, 2015, 10:16:54 PM ---I wanted to ask if anyone has used any of the ergonomic nib holders out there? I'm more curious about the Heebs holders and Chris Yokes' ergo replica holders because those are high on my list haha, but I'd love to hear what anyone's thoughts are on any ergo holders.

--- End quote ---

I recently picked up a vintage Strahm holder and loved it so much I had to buy another. I had not used an ergonomic holder before, vintage or modern, so it was a bit of a revelation. I thought these Strahms might be too big for me as I have small hands but they just fit so well I now find it hard to go back to a typical thin hourglass-shaped holder. However, as Mr Yoke points out in his video on ergonomic holders, they are really designed for the original palm-down grip, not the modern rest-on-the-side-of-your-hand grip, so if this is going to be an issue for you, you will want to think carefully before you buy.

--- End quote ---

That's perfect Andy, thank you. Since I've started calligraphy I've been trying to stick to the original palm-down grip, and find it hard sometimes with the obliques shaped similarly to pens because my hand naturally wants to tilt the same way I write in my everyday writing. I've been looking into a holder that would help guide my hand more to the traditional grip. Good info!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version