Author Topic: Latest nib experiences  (Read 20035 times)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Latest nib experiences
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 03:35:15 AM »
The Gillott factory was famously huge, although maybe not quite so vast as Josiah Mason's where the Perry pens were produced and many others besides, including the Spencerians.  Birmingham had a near monopoly on the world steel pen trade in the 19th century, and the production figures were staggering ... beyond comprehension really.  Considering that every single nib went through more than a dozen different operations the need for all that space becomes apparent, and there are many contemporary engravings of the serried ranks of fly presses and what have you which filled the galleries of the mills.  If this sort of thing interests you, may I recommend the steel pen articles in this thread?

Ah, school desks!  Ours were set up in perfectly straight rows and had a cast iron frame, a flip-down seat about 8" wide, a sloping writing surface with storage space underneath, a pen groove across the back and, as you say, an inkwell which usually contained a marble.  No dip pens, but we were issued with the dreadful Platignum school fountain pens for a while {which had limited projectile potential) until the ballpoint became ubiquitous.  :)

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 06:20:38 AM »
Hi Andy.  Quite amazing the size of that place but as you say if the market was there and there were so many processes you can probably understand.   And I suppose that we didnt have the modern productions lines.  I find it also amazing how many nibs they must have produced.  There must be so many sitting out there somewhere. Wish I could find a stash of the 604s.    I did read an article I found when googling which sets out the production process from the start to the finish and also gives a history of the different manufacturers. I will try and find the link.  Thanks for that interesting info.
BTW As far as my school day experiences I remember spearing myself in the wrist and I remember I had a black ink stain under the skin for many years. The ink stain in the skin lasted for about 30 years and eventually I couldnt see it.   Must have been good ink they used back then.  Probably India ink.    It must have been quite safe as i got no infection from it either. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:25:29 AM by Sheehan1 »

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 01:39:25 PM »
What was the purpose of the marble in the inkwell?

OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 04:34:51 PM »
Good question.  Safe keeping, as far as I can remember.  There was quite a strong marbles culture at my school.

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 06:05:00 AM »
Sounds like a good collection... could you post a photo? I don't remember nib names very well, but I do know what they look like!

Hi Schin. I have just received a few more nibs from a purchase from Ebay.   I was blown away by some of them.  I will post a photo in the next few days but they are
1. Esterbrook 357 (My rating 10/10)
Esterbrook drafting (hard to identify small blue nib) 9.5/10)
Carl Kuhn N. 109 (9.5/10)
John Mitchell 078 Commercial (9.5/10)
No. 138 EF (9.5/10)
Spencarian No. 2 Counting House (9.5/10)
EC & F No. 319 Eva Extra (9.5/10)
Perry & Co. 104 EF (9.5/10)
Perry & Co. No. 120 EF (10/10)
Locati No 0738 Milano (9/10)

Some of these nibs are very small and some are so fine and flexy. Others are quite large but also very flexy with the tines really opening up.  Hopefully I can post a shot tomorrow

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 07:06:18 AM »
Where did find a Perry 104? Was looking for them recently, nothing doing though. Got the Princesse nibs. They are fun!

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 07:46:58 AM »
Hi David
Yes the Plume Princess is a very nice nib for me. I am glad you enjoyed it.  I have catalogued my nibs and re used them and rated them out of 10 so that I can keep track of the ones I like.  I gave the Plume Princess a 9/10.    I have a few 9.5/10 and about 3 10/10.    I am finding the Esterbrooks such a great nib. Really fine hairlines and great flex. Particularly the No. 357 Vintage.  I just cant believe how good it is.  Yes I have two Perry & Co nibs which I also just love. The Perry 104Ef and the 120 EF. 
There is an Ebay seller on Australian Ebay who just has such a great selection. He has an auction every couple of weeks . His Ebay name is Wintersun_.    I will let you know when he announces his next auction. I have got very friendly with him. He is a great guy and a guru of dip nibs.   He also adds a few complimentary nibs with purchases.  Quiet a remarkable person.  He goes into hibernation every now and then with some Monks in some way off temple and he loves drawing with dip nibs.  I am not sure where he gets his collection but he has some many different nibs and when he rates them highly he is always right IMO.

I will post a picture in the next few days of my 10/10 nibs I have from him.
This experience is just so much better than fountain pens. I am so glad I took the advice from Jon Santos on the FP Geeks forum and got into dip nibs.  I think my wife thinks she has lost me.  I cant seem to get away from practising my copperplate and searching for new nibs.

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 07:01:35 PM »
Hey Laurie,

Thanks for the info, and I love what you are doing with the whole cataloguing idea. Something I should do as memory starts to fail me! I have had a short 'conversation' with your Australian supplier - I think, I'll check at lunchtime when I ahve access again - but if it's the same person they acution one nib at a time, is that correct?

Jon Santos is a real stand-up guy and very pleasant to know and talk with.

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 07:17:01 PM »
Hi David
Yes the Ebay guy goes under the seller name of wintersodafeld.  His name is Kirk.  He is so helpful and a guru of nibs.  Yes he does sell in single lots which makes it a bit more expensive but you do save on postage and he will combine all single items and post them all for $1.90.  As I say he throws in some complimentary nibs.
Yes I found the catalogueing to be very helpful. I was just losing track and found it hard to identify the nibs.  Even with a  magnifying glass it is very hard to work out which one you are after. So I just listed them under the manufacturer with their number and ID and then I gave them a score out of ten.   I then just add to the list when I get another nib.  I have them in little plastic viles and bags with the manufacturer's name stuck on and put them all in a plastic compartment container (bit like a fish hook box)  I put a few packets of dessicant in the box and find that it is so much easier.
Yes Jon is pretty forthright in expressing his opinion but I like you have great respect for his knowledge and he is always the first to post a reply when you want some advice.
BTW some of the nibs I got off Kirk were very deceiving. Some were very large and some  narrow and 3 round holes. (not a very good description but I will post some pictures later)  I thought these nibs would be a bit like a nail and not having any variation but I was quiet wrong. One is a John Mitchell 138 which is just gorgeous

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 08:34:58 PM »
Ah, yes, same guy. I asked if he would sell the nibs in lots rather singly, and he refused. Seems a lot of hassle to bid on every single nib, so I turned my attention elsewhere. He seemed like a nice guy and all, but as an overseas buyer I cannot justify buying one nib at a time.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
Sounds like a good collection... could you post a photo? I don't remember nib names very well, but I do know what they look like!

Hi Schin. I have just received a few more nibs from a purchase from Ebay.   I was blown away by some of them.  I will post a photo in the next few days but they are
1. Esterbrook 357 (My rating 10/10)
Esterbrook drafting (hard to identify small blue nib) 9.5/10)
Carl Kuhn N. 109 (9.5/10)
John Mitchell 078 Commercial (9.5/10)
No. 138 EF (9.5/10)
Spencarian No. 2 Counting House (9.5/10)
EC & F No. 319 Eva Extra (9.5/10)
Perry & Co. 104 EF (9.5/10)
Perry & Co. No. 120 EF (10/10)
Locati No 0738 Milano (9/10)

Some of these nibs are very small and some are so fine and flexy. Others are quite large but also very flexy with the tines really opening up.  Hopefully I can post a shot tomorrow

Those sound amazing! Can't wait to see pics!

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 11:42:11 PM »
Here are some pictures of the nibs. Please excuse quality

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 02:22:19 AM »
Very nice collection, they all seem to be very good quality nibs. Great choice!

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 07:06:20 AM »
Laurie,

I just tipped out the small box in my stationery drawer and this is what it contains:

12x Baignol et Farjon Henry Superieure No. 2730
12x Blanzy-Conté-Gilbert Plume Princesse No.730
1x   Esterbrook Chancellor Pen No. 239
1x   Esterbrook Easy Writer No. 130
12x Esterbrook Jackson Stub No. 442
5x   Esterbrook Oval Point No.788
1x   Esterbrook Radio Pen No. 942
1x   Esterbrook Radio Pen No. 988
1x   Government of Canada No. 40
2x   Hiro Leonardt No. 41
2x   Hunt extra fine No.22
2x   Hunt Imperial No. 101
2x   Hunt School round pointed No. 56
1x   Hunt Silverine X-515
3x   Joseph Gillott's extra fine No.303
1x   Kimball-Storer Business No. 23
1x   LW Holley & Son Arrow 011
1x   LW Holley & Son Ideal No. 12
1x   LW Holley & Son Silverine 013
1x   LW Holley & Son Silverine 014
1x   Universal 838
1x   William Mitchell's Red Ink Pen
10x Zebra G

That's a total of 75 nibs across 23 types!

Although I know I bought some of these (The Hunts, Hiro, Gillott, 442s, #2730, Princesse, and Zebra) I have no idea where the others came from, or what they are like. Bit of a mystery really. <scratches head>

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2015, 07:24:58 AM »
I will leave to others with better experience but I do recognise a few that I like.  the Baignol Henry Sup. 2730,  Blanzy Plume Princesse No. 730, Hunt 101. Gillott 303 are nibs that I have tried that I think are good.  Oh yes the Zebra G which is so good for beginners.  I dont know the other and will leave to the other more experienced members of this forum.
I just gave my Perry 120 EF a bit of breaking in and found it to be such a great nib. It is a bit deceiving. It is such a big broad nib that deceived me.  When I inked it up and used it, it produces such fine up strokes and flexes under pressure to produce such great broad down strokes. It is one of my favourites and I would love to know where to get some  more.