Author Topic: When is the best time to learn modern calligraphy?  (Read 7459 times)

Offline Linda H.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
When is the best time to learn modern calligraphy?
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:56:16 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm just a few weeks learning copperplate, but I got the contemporary-fever.. I found a pdf course from the postman's knock but when is the right time to start practicing with that letterform (I ordered Kaitlin).

Is it too hard to learn both or should I wait to perfect my copperplate and when I'm ready in, maybe a half year or so, I can practice the modern calligraphy.

Hope to get some tips from you guys, thank you!
Instagram: @fromlinda.withlove

Offline Jonathan C.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: When is the best time to learn modern calligraphy?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 07:53:47 PM »
Hey Linda!  I say, if you really want to do Copperplate, finish that up till your pleased with every stroke.  Then, move onto modern.  This should prevent any intermingling between the two scripts.  However, modern and copperplate may be far enough apart stylistically so that you can learn them simultaneously without diffusion.  Ultimately, it's up to you.  Those were just my two cents.  Good luck!

-Jonathan C.

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:22:07 PM »
You may get some very different answers but I essentially learned them at the same time. I went through all the copperplate forms first. Once I had a basic understanding of them I went ahead and started manipulating them to create a version of modern. It turned out I much prefer copperplate so I generally stick to that but really, to me, modern is kind of in the way you stylize and manipulate copperplate.
Monica

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 05:36:06 AM »
Hey Linda  :)

Without wishing to be controversial, it's been my observation that modern calligraphers who have also learned Copperplate (preferably first) are, by orders of magnitude, better at modern script than most of those who have not. Knowing the rules and being able to execute a script which abides by them gives you an extremely solid foundation from which to start breaking them. You'll know when, where, and in what way you're changing things and, most importantly, your technical abilities will surpass what's required.

At the end of the day though, it depends on your own personal goals.
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »
Hey Linda  :)

Without wishing to be controversial, it's been my observation that modern calligraphers who have also learned Copperplate (preferably first) are, by orders of magnitude, better at modern script than most of those who have not. Knowing the rules and being able to execute a script which abides by them gives you an extremely solid foundation from which to start breaking them. You'll know when, where, and in what way you're changing things and, most importantly, your technical abilities will surpass what's required.

At the end of the day though, it depends on your own personal goals.

I do agree with this. While I did start modern shortly after I began learning copperplate, I stopped it completely after practicing it for a bit and went back to copperplate. Now when I want to use modern I find that I've improved a lot at knowing what I should and shouldn't do to make sure everything is still consistent and not sloppy.
Monica

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 04:44:17 PM »
All of the above.

You will find that learning copperplate will give you discipline, technically speaking, and this will get you beyond the simple, hedonistic pleasure of improvised modern calligraphy into new, fertile and masterful modern territory.  As an example, just look at Erica's modern calligraphy!!  It may look easy but it's incredibly sophisticated.

And when you find the repetitive copperplate drills tedious, you can always relax and modern it out.  Good luck and have fun!