General Categories > Everyday Handwriting | Penmanship

WWI Journal page

(1/1)

Vintage_BE:
Perhaps slightly off topic, but I wanted to share the enclosed picture. It’s the title page of a journal of WWI that was recently donated to a museum here in Flanders. The author (born 1892 and thus 22 yo at the outbreak of the war) later became a well known architect. I am guessing that his handwriting benefited from (or reflects) his architect studies. @sybillevz will be able to analyse this much more correctly but this would seem to be based on the French “Ronde” style. Interesting combination of slanted and vertical script.

Zivio:

--- Quote from: Vintage_BE on March 04, 2023, 04:14:06 PM ---... It’s the title page of a journal of WWI that was recently donated to a museum here in Flanders...

--- End quote ---

Fantastic historical specimen! I love "real" and practical handwriting so much -- this is a beauty!

Erica McPhee:
I split this into its own topic as it is off topic from Sybille’s original post. Thanks!

sybillevz:
Indeed this is a the French Ronde, with a slant. Maybe a local variation taught in school or a personal adaptation. I wouldn't say it reflects typical erchitect handwriting, but I haven't seen enough of those to be sure  ;)

At the time, Ronde was used by administration and Anglaise was more of a personal hand. But both were taught in schools, the Ronde probably after the Anglaise because it was more of a professionnal style.

Thank you for sharing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version