Author Topic: Hello from Texas!  (Read 576 times)

Offline MatildaPug

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from Texas!
« on: September 22, 2019, 12:38:47 PM »
Hello all!

I'm fairly new, by new I haven't started yet. Been doing a lot of reading and watching videos and have a few idea's for highly reputable books. I'm afraid to start and develop some bad habits. As a 30 year old classical pianist, I avoid bad habits lol.  I've always been a fan of this and at 43 years old, why wait?! The name comes from my pug, Matilda. Anyways, just wanted to drop a line and say hello :)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Texas!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 07:52:54 AM »
Hello, @MatildaPug !  Welcome to the Forum!  What type of calligraphy are you interested in?  Broad edge or pointed pen?  There are very fine calligraphers here at the Forum in both general categories! 

I am also from Texas & we have a good number of members here who live in TX!  I live up in the Panhandle, but we have calligraphers from DFW, Austin & Houston, too!  There are several good calligraphy guilds in Texas, so you have many opportunities to learn different aspects of calligraphy!

I learned Copperplate from Eleanor Winters' "Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy".  It's a fine book & I treated it like a textbook. - I followed the book from front to back, following her instructions and examples.  I recommend the book to you!

Good luck with your learning progress!

Janis

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 12:34:04 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!

Offline MatildaPug

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »
Hello, @MatildaPug !  Welcome to the Forum!  What type of calligraphy are you interested in?  Broad edge or pointed pen?  There are very fine calligraphers here at the Forum in both general categories! 

I am also from Texas & we have a good number of members here who live in TX!  I live up in the Panhandle, but we have calligraphers from DFW, Austin & Houston, too!  There are several good calligraphy guilds in Texas, so you have many opportunities to learn different aspects of calligraphy!

I learned Copperplate from Eleanor Winters' "Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy".  It's a fine book & I treated it like a textbook. - I followed the book from front to back, following her instructions and examples.  I recommend the book to you!

Good luck with your learning progress!

Janis

I ordered a couple of books for Copperplate. Thats what i'm interested in. The Winters book was one of the ones I ordered as well.  I too am in the Panhandle/Amarillo area.  (haha Small world :D) My supplies should arrive Wednesday and then i'll be on a fun road to learning this. Thanks for all the information, maybe I can find a group in this area. If ya know of any, i'd be interested :)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 02:21:07 PM »
Sorry for the late response @MatildaPug ! Have you started in yet?  ;D Just wanted to say welcome!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram