Author Topic: using finetec for many envelopes  (Read 3247 times)

Offline signcarver

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
using finetec for many envelopes
« on: December 02, 2016, 02:47:11 PM »
I'm going to use finetec to address my Christmas envelopes. How do i make "large" amounts of ink or what is the best way to do this.

Thanks,
Steve

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Re: using finetec for many envelopes
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 05:37:07 PM »
You can dissolve one or several Finetec tabs in distilled water and then dilute the ink to the consistency you need! This will take some hours. Then you can even dip it, if you stir frequently (for example with a toothpick).
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline tmtcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:25:50 PM »
You can dissolve one or several Finetec tabs in distilled water and then dilute the ink to the consistency you need! This will take some hours. Then you can even dip it, if you stir frequently (for example with a toothpick).

Oh My Goodness!!! Thank You!!! I cannot believe I'd never thought of that!! I Love Finetec for an envelope or 2 but had always Dreaded using it for Mulitipe envelopes!!!... until Now!! Currently dissolving 2 Sterling Silver Tabs!! I Love it when I have an "Ah! Ha!" Moment like this!! Thank You!!!!

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 07:25:33 AM »
Funny....I encountered this same problem just last night! So obvious its brilliant solution @Estefa! It will likely dry out a little over the days. Can we continuously dilute with water? Once we're done, if there is still some left, will it store well for an extended period and be re-used?
Star

Offline signcarver

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 09:56:02 AM »
Estefa - thank you so much!!!  :)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 05:34:22 PM »
Funny....I encountered this same problem just last night! So obvious its brilliant solution @Estefa! It will likely dry out a little over the days. Can we continuously dilute with water? Once we're done, if there is still some left, will it store well for an extended period and be re-used?

I use small containers with airtight covers (any small old marmelade jar will do). It keeps fresh for months – I treat mixed shades of gouache the same way and had only once some mold ;). Make sure to clean the jars well with boiling water before using them for ink / color for longer time periods! I usually make a batch and then transfer a small amount to a dinky dip for use. And yes, surely you can add more water, when some of it evaporates!

Offline dancingfish

• View Profile
    • dancingfish
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 03:26:05 PM »
I have done the same as Estefa and found it works very well.  I store mine in a mini jam jar, and because I found that the mica settles quickly, I keep a stir bar in the jar and put it on my magnetic stirrer while I'm using it.  Keeps the sparkle all nicely mixed up  :)

Offline marilyns

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 11:01:01 PM »
So when you say "tab" do you mean one of the one inch discs that might come in the Finetec sets or is there a new tablet product?

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 03:36:23 AM »
I am German – so I meant the thing how you can buy it here:

http://www.coliro.de/index.php?cPath=1&MODsid=ofc7curncrbm4ffc3u2asmb153

If the word is not correct, sorry!

You have to lift it out of the plastic thingy with a small kitchen knive of course, beor dissolving.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 05:23:36 AM »
@marilyns :  Yes, "tab" and "disc" are one & the same!  You can buy the independent discs of Finetec.  I love one of the golds more than the others (Arabic gold) & I use it up faster.  I found that you can just purchase the one that you've used up, to keep a full set going!  (Why do I want to keep a full set going, when I NEVER use Tibet Gold?  Beats me!  I just like to be organized, I guess!)  At any rate, enough about me!  You and Estefa are talking about the same thing!

Janis

Offline marilyns

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 11:10:56 AM »
Thanks to all for clarifying regarding disc and tab Finetec.

Offline Tales from the Nib

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 02:20:21 PM »
Thank you for this thread, I was going to ask about dissolving the discs into water, but wanted to know before I did it, then cried ha ha.
I will try this now  ;)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »
I'm so glad that you asked!  Estefan is brilliant and her way to make the"ink" from Finetec is awesome!  Works great!

Janis

Offline Tales from the Nib

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 03:07:46 AM »
I'm so glad that you asked!  Estefan is brilliant and her way to make the"ink" from Finetec is awesome!  Works great!

Janis

Thank you Janis, I did wonder, but thought no, I will research before I mess around, I love finetec, and would be annoyed with myself if it went wrong, so did a little search and found this thread  :)