Author Topic: My Compendium of Lettering Styles  (Read 62444 times)

Offline JERRY TRESSER

• View Profile
    • Gilding & Illumination Supplies
Re: My Compendium of Lettering Styles
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2018, 08:47:51 PM »
I was wondering if you would be kind enough to provide some examples of your Foundational Hand. Possibly a few letters and maybe one or two diagonals.  What nib height are you using and what the pen angle is.  Appreciated.  I could not find any examples of this style in your post.  JERRY

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2018, 09:16:31 AM »
I'm sorry that you missed it - it's at the very beginning #2 just after Uncial.
Ken

Offline JERRY TRESSER

• View Profile
    • Gilding & Illumination Supplies
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2018, 04:49:28 PM »
Thank you Ken, the problem was that i did not login. Very nice.  Respectfully, JERRY

Offline FirebirdArts

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2018, 05:16:09 AM »
Ken, are you a master penman yet?  Because I swear after oggling and drooling after all your exemplars I am FLOORED...they are amazing...I'm out of words to describe my awe after this...

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2018, 09:52:23 AM »
Ken, are you a master penman yet?  Because I swear after oggling and drooling after all your exemplars I am FLOORED...they are amazing...I'm out of words to describe my awe after this...
Ken is too modest to respond in the affirmative to this question, so I will offer you my opinion:  Ken is indeed a master penman. He may not have the title that IAMPETH has conferred over the past 30 years or so, having never sought that title from them as far as I know, but surely would be granted that title if he were to seek it, imho. His work is better, again, in my opinion, than a number of people with the official title.
At best, in his modesty, he might describe himself as a scribe or master scribe.

Lest I reignite the discussion of what constitutes a master penman, which is discussed at length elsewhere on this forum, I would simply say I am old school on the matter, meaning I look at a person's work and compare it to the best work ever published that I've seen (for example, the "Universal Penman" for English Roundhand). Is Ken's work comparable? Yes, it is, again, in my opinion. That makes him a master by my lights. In olden times, that's how the title was granted, informally--by a person's peers based on the person's work. Whether or not a person has an "official" title granted by a self selected group is quite irrelevant.

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2018, 03:41:05 PM »
I am in complete alignment with @AnasaziWrites.  There are many times, I thought his work were generated from a computer typeface and I have suspected as so.  It wasn't until Sir Fraser described the process of this creation, that I was enlightened.  I am still at awe of his work.  I also recognized another master scribe, Michael Moore.

Offline esmy77

• Part Time Unicorn chaser
    • View Profile
    • Wild Stawberry
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2018, 07:10:29 PM »
Wow this is amazing!!
Esmeraldita • Part time Unicorn Chaser • Graphic Designer Hand Crafted style • Cake Designer • Chucky's mom (child's play doll) • Married to a Swede

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2018, 05:49:37 PM »
Beautiful, amazing and wonderful work Ken Fraser. Thank you for the share of your talents that add more values to this forum.
Thank you again and again.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2018, 04:45:03 AM »
Beautiful, amazing and wonderful work Ken Fraser. Thank you for the share of your talents that add more values to this forum.
Thank you again and again.

You are more than welcome!  :)

Offline Nicola

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2018, 04:12:46 PM »
May I ask which resource you used for the 'Spencerian Business Writing' exemplar please?

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2018, 10:12:32 AM »
May I ask which resource you used for the 'Spencerian Business Writing' exemplar please?

Nicola,
It was a long time ago and I can't remember my  sources as I was learning, but I do remember being influenced by the beautiful writings of E E Mills and J J Bailey.
Many examples from both are freely available on the IAMPETH site.

They would still be my first choice for study, coupled with the great resources from Dr Joe Vitolo as the up-to-date equivalent.

Ken

Offline Angelica acosta

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2018, 01:00:55 PM »
Ken Thank youuuu so much for this compendium!!! It is great!!! bests, Angelica
Angélica Acosta
IG calligraphybarranquilla
FB Angelica Acosta

ash0kgiri

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2018, 12:11:29 AM »
I would simply say I am old school on the matter, meaning I look at a person's work and compare it to the best work ever published that I've seen (for example, the "Universal Penman" for English Roundhand). Is Ken's work comparable? Yes, it is, again, in my opinion. That makes him a master by my lights. In olden times, that's how the title was granted, informally--by a person's peers based on the person's work. Whether or not a person has an "official" title granted by a self selected group is quite irrelevant.

Well said @AnasaziWrites. Cant put that in any better ways. Thanks bro :D

Offline Angela Sampayo

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2019, 09:03:59 AM »
This gives an amazing overview. Thank you so much!!

Offline gracefulgiftedhands

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2019, 02:12:17 PM »
Thank you Ken, for ALL the effort you went through to write, compile and post these here. I am SO excited to learn more about each script, and so far my favourite is Madarasz's Script ;)

I truly appreciate your generosity. I know this would be one of the places I revisit and revisit.

P/s: I'm new here and probably missed an instructional thread here and there, but I was wondering if anyone can help me with 'saving' this thread for easy access in the future? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE <3

Cheers to you!
Rachel
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:28:01 PM by Rachel B. »