Author Topic: Help identifying this exemplar.  (Read 593 times)

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
Help identifying this exemplar.
« on: August 12, 2019, 08:34:31 AM »
Good day all, long time no hear. I do keep my eye on the group though.

As many of you know, my mainstay is making pens, mostly fountain pens. A supplier of mine (small mom and pop shop), just brought out a new fountain pen kit for pen makers, that is a starter broad edge calligraphy set. While i don’t normally make kit pens anymore, this one seems like it will be a nice gift set. It comes with 3 nibs; 1.5mm, 1.9mm and 2.5mm as well as an ink converter and cartridges.

Now for my question. He has included a card “A basic guide to calligraphy” with and exemplar on the back (see attached photo). I am far, far from an expert, but I am sure it is a pointed pen exemplar. I would like to advise him about this, but want to get my info straight. Could someone identify it for me?

I would also like to find an exemplar that I could suggest for him to use for a simple broad edge. It would need to be free of copywriter and fairly simple for a beginner. This card is not something that he makes money on, just an add on for the gift box set.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying this exemplar.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 12:17:34 PM »
Hi Darrin,
The exemplar is done with a brush. It would definitely not be one done with a broad edge. I would suggest a simple Italic or Uncial for a broad pen. I don't know about a copyright free one but you may be able to find an artist who would be willing to do one for the exposure - maybe one who teaches and could include a link?
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 12:18:48 PM »
Also, just wanted to add - it's important the exemplar be done with one of the pens from the kit. At least, I think that would be best.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 01:25:39 PM »
Thank you Erica

I'll let them know your suggestions. They emailed me back and said they would look into it before the next printing.

I think this basic card idea, to go along with the set, is a good one. If I decide to make more of these, I may have to sit down and try to do one of my own. Maybe it would force me back to practicing.😉
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments