Author Topic: My First Commission......  (Read 4427 times)

Offline r_b_calligraphy

• Freshman Member
  • Saving the world, one calligraphy stroke at a time
    • View Profile
My First Commission......
« on: May 14, 2016, 03:17:58 PM »
A friend of mine saw that I was getting into calligraphy and asked me to pen Romans 12:12. Well I felt so flattered by the request, seeing as how I'm still relatively new to the whole world and that they wanted to pay me, I really went out my way to try to make it as special as I could with my current abilities. I really wanted to add a gold border but wasn't quite sure about the process and didn't trust myself to  not mess it up hehe. If anyone had any advice on that, it would be helpful. In any case I kinda like how this turned out for once :)

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
Re: My First Commission......
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 11:26:09 AM »
You did a great job!

Maybe you could make the smaller apeture mount in gold? That way, you could get the gold border you want without risking your lovely work X
Nikki x

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 01:14:58 PM »
Looking good.  :)

For lines on mount boards, you really need a ruling pen.  They're very reliable so long as you keep it upright, and you can control the width to a nicety.  The top one in the picture is of the highly desirable hinged variety, which is much easier to clean.

Offline Inkysloth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 05:15:35 PM »
That's beautifully done - I doff my cap to you!

I manage to get crisp lines with gold ink using a regular dip nib, and a ruler flipped upside down (so the bevelled edge is raised above the writing surface). So if you do want to try, it is possible! However, I really do need to get the hang of a ruling pen as they are supposed to be better.

Offline r_b_calligraphy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 06:18:48 PM »
Looking good.  :)

For lines on mount boards, you really need a ruling pen.  They're very reliable so long as you keep it upright, and you can control the width to a nicety.  The top one in the picture is of the highly desirable hinged variety, which is much easier to clean.

Thx for the suggestion...silly me has only seen them used in expressive calligraphy but after looking up the true use I see there used in ruling lines ::)... In any case, I'm seeing that there a bit hard to find, especially the hinged one.

Offline r_b_calligraphy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 06:23:31 PM »
You did a great job!

Maybe you could make the smaller apeture mount in gold? That way, you could get the gold border you want without risking your lovely work X

That would not have been bad but the picture mat was custom sized and I also wouldn't want to mess that up  :D

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 02:19:35 PM »
Bravo! Beautifully done!!

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 07:33:35 AM »
The piece looks great! Nice work.

Offline JaniceB

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 11:34:07 AM »
Very nice! And congratulations!

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 05:19:02 PM »
This looks sooo good! I really like Nikki's idea about the gold border. Another option might be to use some Japanese paper as matting. They are stunning, and often have gold (and silver) highlights worked into the pattern, which range from very busy to simple and delicate. Or, maybe you can find an ornate frame..I've seen some wood and metal frames that reminded me of flourishes...they could be painted gold...
Star

Offline r_b_calligraphy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 01:52:26 PM »
This looks sooo good! I really like Nikki's idea about the gold border. Another option might be to use some Japanese paper as matting. They are stunning, and often have gold (and silver) highlights worked into the pattern, which range from very busy to simple and delicate. Or, maybe you can find an ornate frame..I've seen some wood and metal frames that reminded me of flourishes...they could be painted gold...

That sounds great! thc for the suggestion....do you have a specific retailer that stands out in the Japanese paper department?

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 03:01:11 PM »
In Toronto, I go to The Paper Place, and you can shop online (http://shop.thepaperplace.ca/), but I prefer to see the patterns in person. I've never ordered online. However, a quick search showed other online ordering places as well.
Star

Offline Mimi

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 01:20:48 PM »
This is lovely!

I would be hesitant like you as well to put a gold border on something so lovely. I would be afraid of making a mess out of my work. If you learn how to do it, I'd love to learn!
Mimi

Offline hasenherz89

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 11:57:20 AM »
Oh wow! This is gorgeous! I love the structure, the paper, the colours and - of course- your writing!

Offline r_b_calligraphy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 12:31:30 PM »
In Toronto, I go to The Paper Place, and you can shop online (http://shop.thepaperplace.ca/), but I prefer to see the patterns in person. I've never ordered online. However, a quick search showed other online ordering places as well.

Thank you so much for the reference ;D

And thank you everyone for the kinds words... Mimi I'm going to try the ruling pen as suggested and when I do, i'll post it.