Author Topic: Wacom Tablet recommendations please!  (Read 898 times)

Offline Leanda

• body in england, soul in greece
    • View Profile
    • My website
Wacom Tablet recommendations please!
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:58:17 AM »
I think it's time for one of these! I use a mouse for bezier curves in Illustrator, which I have always done even when I was a graphic designer. What are people's experiences of tablets? Logos/stamps... got to be easier yes? Can you get them to mimic the swells and hairlines of a pointed pen? How does it work? So many questions!!

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Wacom Tablet recommendations please!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 12:34:03 PM »
OOH.  Thanks for asking this question, Leanda.  I have the Bamboo CTH670 (Create Pen & Touch), which I got for around $200 a couple of years ago.  It isn't suitable for creating the look of calligraphy via the pressure sensitive functionality of it, but I still find it an absolute necessity when I'm touching up scanned in calligraphy and artwork.  It is, of course, helpful for other tasks.  Truly, I couldn't manage on a mouse alone- my wrist hurts to think about it!  And I find that using the Wacom is SO much quicker and more accurate.

All that being said, I've been thinking about investing in a new one. Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Tablet-Medium-PTH651/dp/B00EN27SHY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_5&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

But I feel like I'm going in a little blind here, so hopefully others here have some insights!

Offline ericp

• View Profile
Re: Wacom Tablet recommendations please!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 02:07:27 PM »
All that being said, I've been thinking about investing in a new one. Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Tablet-Medium-PTH651/dp/B00EN27SHY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_5&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

But I feel like I'm going in a little blind here, so hopefully others here have some insights!
My oldest son who is moving in the direction of a career in 3D animation tells me that the Intuos is very popular with students as the best bang-for-the-buck in that price range, otherwise we are talking 2000$ for one of those very appealing pressure-sensitive screens... (gulp... as the paying parent, let's go for the intuos... and maybe dad can borrow it occasionally for calligraphy chores ;-) )