Author Topic: Wacom Tablet?  (Read 6363 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Wacom Tablet?
« on: March 08, 2014, 12:14:38 PM »
Hello all my flourishing friends!

I have had a basic Wacom tablet for the past 13 years. I love it. I don't do anything fancy with it in terms of pressure or drawing or lettering. But it does make my life way easier when working on calligraphy and photoshop.

My husband, in his eager enthusiasm, bought me the newest Professional Creative Pen and Touch Tablet for my birthday. I had no idea how expensive it was until Best Buy let the cat out of the bag with an email receipt! I never would have spent that!

Anyway, my question is ... is it worth it to have the pro version? Or would I still be fine with the basic? Thanks!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
Re: Wacom Tablet?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 01:45:59 PM »
Erica, this would be a great question for Laura Coyle. Do you have her contact info?

Ellen

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
Hi Erica,

I've used Wacom tablets for years. I started with a Bamboo, then graduated to a used Intuos 3. At work, I had the Intuos 4. I read on the Wacom site that the former Bamboos are now called Intuos and the former Intuos are the Intuos Pros (like you have, right?). In my experience, there's a huge difference, especially where pressure sensitivity is concerned. You can notice this even when cleaning up lines. If you do any photo retouching at all, stick with the pro. It's where I've noticed the most difference. At least when I had the Bamboo (like maybe 8 years ago or so?) it was pretty crappy, whereas the Intuos ones were always top notch.

I guess the main question for you is: Do you notice the difference between the new and your old one? If the new one's better, keep it! :D
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:53:32 PM »
Thanks Ellen, yes I do. Good suggestion.  :)

Thank you Natascha. I haven't opened the new one yet. I feel guilty it is so expensive. I never would have bought that version for myself. But if it is really worthwhile to have it, I'll keep. But if it is just bells and whistles I won't need, I would return it and save a couple hundred. I do a lot of photo editing being a professional photographer. I would never be without a tablet. I'm just not sure what kind of features I am missing out on or maybe not!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 06:40:30 AM »
If you do a lot of photo editing, keep it! I found that the pressure sensitivity makes all the difference when working with masks etc. I worked in a retouching company for a while, this is where I noticed the difference between my cheapo one and theirs :D
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 12:26:05 PM »
Great! Thank you!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 03:30:39 PM »
How do you use it with your lettering, Erica?  I'm curious. 

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 06:53:02 PM »
I use it all the time for everything on my desktop. It's just so much easier and more precise than a mouse. But there is definitely a learning curve - although if you do the exercises they send with it, you pick it up in no time. It's an eye-hand thing.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Alphabetguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 02:52:55 PM »
This is an image of the Wacom tablet setup that I use. I have a large tablet with only a portion, the dotted line section, dedicated to the drawing surface. I have small velcro pieces attached to the keyboard as a guide for my fingers to contact the proper keys required for shortcuts in Illustrator. I do not look at the keyboard while lettering in vector. I focus on the screen. The reason I use a large tablet is for ergonomics to position the keyboard as close to the tablet drawing area as possible.

This setup is basically an extension of the desk with a tilt surface for both of my hands to rest on. The tablet hangs over the edge of the desk. I tried a smaller tablet and was not able to setup the keyboard as needed for my method of drawing with a stylus pen. I do not use any of the menu items of the Wacom software. All the menu items are turned off as I have the keyboard within close reach.

Over the years I have found it easier to draw with a small portion of the tablet compared to the entire tablet surface. This allows for quicker point placement and bezier handle adjustment with my wrist instead of an entire arm movement to do the same.

Alan

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:54:35 PM by Alphabetguy »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 10:25:23 PM »
Ah very tricky! I actually returned the Pro tablet! I thought it was just way too big! Darn it - wish I had seen this earlier.

One of my problems though is that I am ambidextrous so I do all of my lettering with my right hand, but I do all of my mousing/computer work with my left hand. I think it would throw me off to try to use the larger tablet like this. But I suppose it is just a matter of getting used to it.

Thank you for sharing that.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Alphabetguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 10:23:11 PM »
One of my problems though is that I am ambidextrous so I do all of my lettering with my right hand,

Erica,
That is not a problem it's a gift.
When you lettering in Illustrator are you using your right hand for placing the vector lines and all?

Alan

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 12:45:52 AM »
Thanks Alan,
I am using my left hand to do the lettering in Illustrator.  :o
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Alphabetguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 10:27:21 PM »
I am using my left hand to do the lettering in Illustrator.  :o

Hi Erica,
Try some practice sessions right handed with the stylus. Only reason I suggest is that you letter right handed. I am curious if point placement and bezier handles might be easier to do with your lettering hand.

Alan

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 01:15:50 AM »
I tried it. It's like trying to brush my teeth with my feet.  ;D  Once I made the switch over to left hand for computer work, I really can't use my right hand for the computer anymore (except on my laptop where I use both at once). It's been 8+ years now. I know - kooky!

I will try it again and see if it will become familiar again after a bit. Thanks!  :)

The good news is I am getting the hang of point placement and Bezier curves. It's just the width tool that is giving me trouble.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:17:26 AM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 08:38:16 AM »
I am learning so much in this thread!  This is why it is nice to hang out with the artsy folks now and then.