Author Topic: The subtlety of Copperplate  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
The subtlety of Copperplate
« on: February 20, 2017, 09:49:49 AM »
It is sometimes felt that English Roundhand (Copperplate) is a rigid, disciplined style lacking in flexibility and subtlety. This is quite wrong as can be seen in this small example. All downstrokes are generally considered to be straight and this is generally true but there are very subtle variations which give the style its colour and movement.
In this typical example, the third downstroke of the letter m is clearly at a different angle. In fact the slope is about 48 degrees with a delicate, compound curve compared to the straight 54 degrees of the other two downstrokes. This deviation from the usual is present in many other similarly constructed letters such as h : m : n : and the first strokes of v and y.
Exceptions are in the letters a : d and g with the first stroke curved and the second downstroke straight. In Engraver's Script, the second stroke of the letter a is often written with an inward curve - one of the many differences between the two styles.
Also it's worth noting that in English Roundhand script the first top curve of the letter m is much narrower that the following two curves of the letter. This is the same with the letter n. This doesn't apply with Engravers Script where all the top curves are usually written at the same width.
In 18th century Copperplate, the curved first strokes of the letters a : c : d : e : g : o : and q are weighted towards the bottom half of the letters.
This was largely abandoned in later manifestations with the curved letters weighted in the centre and this is the practice in Engraver's script.

I am not expressing a personal preference here, just trying to illustrate some of the differences as the two styles are often mistaken as being one and the same.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:07:03 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Karlco

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: The subtlety of Copperplate
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 10:09:30 AM »
Very nice information Ken. It gives an idea of the differences in writing. I love al de roundhand-type of writing  :)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 01:15:28 PM »
Very sharp eye. Good stuff.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 06:37:24 AM »
@Ken Fraser That's brilliant!  Very subtle analysis!

Janis

ash0kgiri

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 06:53:49 AM »
Thanks for this valuable information Ken. Appreciate.

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 09:26:32 AM »
Love your observations!!  Thank you for sharing. 

Offline Systernet

• Freshman Member
  • Do what you love - and love what you do
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »
I'm very thankfull for information like this, as it helps a newbie and a novice like me to get a grip of what I have to be aware off! Big thankyou 🙏💞

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
Thank you all for your observations and comments - greatly appreciated.

Ken Fraser

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 02:05:35 PM »
Thank you for this analysis Ken. I am still working on perfecting my downstrokes and seeing demonstrations of these small variations is so helpful while building foundational strokes in my preferred hand of Copperplate.

I always appreciate your words of wisdom and the examples of the actual writing you provide  ;)
"The expert at anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes