Author Topic: Light Pink Inks for Dark Paper  (Read 822 times)

Offline nicole.t

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Light Pink Inks for Dark Paper
« on: November 09, 2020, 07:29:10 PM »
Hello All!

I'm addressing envelopes for a wedding and need some help with finding the best ink for the job. I'm writing on emerald green envelopes and need a light pink ink that is opaque enough to show up well on the envelopes. I thought of trying a Ziller ink, but I've had trouble with Ziller's colored inks not being opaque enough for dark paper.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Light Pink Inks for Dark Paper
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 11:15:50 AM »
Gouache!  I'd mix a pink colored gouache with some Bleed Proof White (better performing than white gouache for this) and gum arabic.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 01:30:07 PM »
I vote for what @Bianca M said!  Or, you might try a pink Pearl Ex.  @joi Can you recommend a pink Pearl Ex?

Janis

Offline nicole.t

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 06:27:30 PM »
@Bianca M Thank you for the tip! I've never used gum arabic before. Paper & Ink Arts has it in powder and liquid - is one better than the other for this situation? What's the best way to mix gouache, BPW, & gum arabic?

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 06:39:21 PM »
@Nichole T:  gum Arabic is a “binder”. It holds things together. The liquid & the powder are the same!  I prefer the liquid, for reasons unknown to me. Erica has a video here on how to mix gouache into ink. On the video, she said the name of the paint, which saved me a ton of embarrassment!  It’s pronounced “gwash”, not “go-ash”, as I would have said it!  TIP;  buy high-end gouache (Windsor & Newton, etc.). Anything they sell at John Neal & Paper, Inks, Art will be good!

Janis

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 09:09:57 PM »
@Bianca M Thank you for the tip! I've never used gum arabic before. Paper & Ink Arts has it in powder and liquid - is one better than the other for this situation? What's the best way to mix gouache, BPW, & gum arabic?

Like @JanisTX, I prefer liquid, but that's probably because I'm always adding it to... liquid!  And lol... I used to pronounce it go-osh too!

Here's the video Janis is referring to: https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=217.0

Because your envelopes are going to be handled and will go through the mail, the gouache/BPW mix will smudge, so that is where the gum arabic comes in.  I mix directly into a 1/2oz jar that I can cap when not in use, and I dip vs. brush load (much easier for envelopes).  I always add at least 5 drops of GA and do smudge tests when the ink is completely dry.  It is a patience-testing process!  If it smudges, I add a couple more drops of GA.  Use only enough to prevent smudging, and note that GA does prolong drying time. Also note: colors mixed with BPW will usually dry slightly darker than they appear when wet, something to consider while mixing.

I hope I've covered everything!  Oh no, I haven't: use good quality gouache otherwise you will be very disappointed with the ink flow, transitions and hairlines.  I rely on Winsor & Newton with some Holbein and Schmincke in my mix as well.  Do not use the acrylic gouache for pointed pen.  Ok, now I think I've covered it... ;)

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 09:25:10 AM »
When the acrylic gouache first came out, I was sure that it was a terrible idea - until one of my friends recommended it.
Having tried it, I do think it has a place - addressing envelopes.

However -- DO NOT MIX IT WITH REGULAR GOUACHE.
It does not reconstitute.

I would never use it for my own artwork, but it streamlined some of my envelope jobs which was fantastic at the time.
Here are the features that I really like:

It is not entirely waterproof, but it is very water resistant, so it is a good choice for envelopes.
If you thin it enough, it works fine with a Z type nib.
You will not get the extreme thicks and thins, but it works fine - for envelopes.
If you don't want to bother mixing a particular color - you can usually find something that works which saves time.
If you do a lot of envelope addressing, at some point, you will get a job with a problem paper
and in my experience - it works well on any kind of paper.

I prefer the stiffer Z nibs for addressing and I am not interested in the more delicate nibs and the thicker thicks.
So, I can't say whether the acrylic gouache works well with other kinds of nibs and paper combinations.

It is not as dreamy as regular gouache, but, when it comes to envelope jobs, I am happy to have it as an option.
I never found any of the acrylic inks that felt as good as regular gouache, so, to me -- it's the same difference as acrylic ink.

I agree about buying only good quality gouache. Do not buy cheap gouache.

Offline nicole.t

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 06:50:37 PM »
Thank you @JanisTX and. @Bianca M for all of the tips. This is a huge help! I found some Windsor & Newton gouache and Paper & Ink Arts that I think will work, so I'm going to give that a try!

@jeanwilson Thank you for the info about acrylic gouache! I've seen that in my searches, but wasn't quite sure what difference that kind of gouache would make. Your info is very helpful  :)

I'll let you all know how this works out!