Author Topic: Hey-hi-hello from Seattle!  (Read 250 times)

Offline Birdylo

• View Profile
Hey-hi-hello from Seattle!
« on: February 08, 2021, 09:29:36 PM »
Birdy here! she/her, 29, Seattle

I was introduced to calligraphy at 10 by my fountain-pen-loving father. It was interesting, but the fountain pen... did not really work for me. I was a terrible pen steward, never kept my pen clean (thank god it was just a cheap Speedball), and frequently lost it. After several failed attempts at being a habitual fountain pen user in the following five years, I discarded the notion.

A few years ago, I picked up a cheap dip pen to use for letter-writing and completely fell in love with it. I have spent the last couple years playing with every color and brand of ink I could find, using both brushes and a straight holder with my trusty cheap #101 Imperial nib. I love writing letters, especially with a dip pen. I practice Copperplate at home and am planning to start learning other pointed-pen styles (except Modern, I really do not like Modern) over the next year.

I feel far more comfortable with a straight holder than an oblique holder, to the point where I will go to great lengths to avoid using an oblique. I write with a light hand and greatly favor soft nibs. When I first tried a Zebra G, I felt so frustrated that everyone recommended it as a nice flexible nib to start with when I felt like I couldn't get a nice shadow without forcing my pen down. After researching extensively, I recently ordered several new old stock nibs known for being soft. I am excited to try out and catalog my findings here!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: Hey-hi-hello from Seattle!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 04:42:50 PM »
Hi Birdy!

It sounds like you have really been having fun exploring the world of pointed pen. Yes, the Zebra G is quite stiff. The Nikko Go is a bit less so but still a generally stiff nib. Try the Hunt 101. That was is super flexible and can give some great thicks and thins.

Welcome to Flourish!  ;D
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 08:03:53 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Birdy!  I also favor the more flexible nibs - less tiring!  It's great that you've found what you like and can expand from there.  That 101 is flexible, fine, reliable and economical - lots to love. Enjoy!

Offline Elissa K.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Squill Calligraphy Studio
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 11:09:43 AM »
Hi Birdy ~ my father also introduced me to calligraphy in elementary school!  And I had similar problems with fountain pens.  The thing now is to remember to clean my nibs each and every time I'm done... I even had one of those great pens where you fill the entire pen with ink and it has a flexible nib.  Guess what, I realized I'd left it to dry out for years and I had to throw it away... Haha.