Author Topic: Looking For White Ink Recommendations  (Read 861 times)

Offline manalit

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Looking For White Ink Recommendations
« on: October 15, 2021, 01:26:19 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Moon Palace Sumi Black Ink is a favorite, so when I saw their white ink at Paper Ink & Arts, I was excited and purchased it. But I was left disappointed when I tried using it on envelopes made out of dark handmade paper (maroon and deep green). It wasn't opaque at all and some color from the paper was bleeding in to it. I mixed it with a little of Dr. Martin's Bleed Proof White (BPW), which had better results, but left me wanting an ink that is ready to use. I like the opacity of BPW, however I sometimes mess up the dilution consistency and it becomes really annoying to make it work.

I wanted to ask if you had any other (almost ready to use) white ink recommendations besides BPW.

Thank you!
-Manali
IG @calligraphy_nibler

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For White Ink Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 10:13:15 PM »
I had a similar experience. Doctor Martin’s Bleedproof White is my go to. I also have trouble getting it the right consistency sometimes. So I have learned to just use a couple of drops of water at a time. I haven’t found anything else that is as opaque or works so smoothly.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 09:40:41 AM »
Like Erica, my go-to is BPW too. I also really like McCaffrey's White and Ivory. The inks are thinner in consistency and thus not as opaque as the BPW, but you can get really beautiful hairlines with the McCaffrey's. The one advantage is you can use it straight out of the jar. Just watch out for the mold and clumps that sometimes form between use.

I'm not a fan of the Daler-Rowney Pro-White -- avoid that one. It's good for more expressive/gestural work, but I wouldn't recommend it for fine and delicate pointed pen use.

Good luck!
Janice

Offline manalit

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 01:54:20 AM »
I had a similar experience. Doctor Martin’s Bleedproof White is my go to. I also have trouble getting it the right consistency sometimes. So I have learned to just use a couple of drops of water at a time. I haven’t found anything else that is as opaque or works so smoothly.
Thanks Erica, looks like BPW is great, I just have to be more patient with it!
-Manali
IG @calligraphy_nibler

Offline manalit

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 01:56:16 AM »
Like Erica, my go-to is BPW too. I also really like McCaffrey's White and Ivory. The inks are thinner in consistency and thus not as opaque as the BPW, but you can get really beautiful hairlines with the McCaffrey's. The one advantage is you can use it straight out of the jar. Just watch out for the mold and clumps that sometimes form between use.

I'm not a fan of the Daler-Rowney Pro-White -- avoid that one. It's good for more expressive/gestural work, but I wouldn't recommend it for fine and delicate pointed pen use.

Good luck!
Janice

Thank you for recommendation Janice! I'll keep McCaffrey's in my wishlist and steer clear of Daler-Rowney  :D
-Manali
IG @calligraphy_nibler

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 07:16:55 AM »
I also second good old BPW – I always pre-mix it in a separate container / empty old ink jar or similar – with water and a tad gum arabic and put a small amount in a dinky dip or similar – so it’s basically a ready-to-go ink on my desk that I can simply dip. It goes a long way without needing to add more ink – I even add some drops of water when it gets too thick.
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline manalit

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 12:01:47 AM »
I also second good old BPW – I always pre-mix it in a separate container / empty old ink jar or similar – with water and a tad gum arabic and put a small amount in a dinky dip or similar – so it’s basically a ready-to-go ink on my desk that I can simply dip. It goes a long way without needing to add more ink – I even add some drops of water when it gets too thick.
Thank you Stefanie! That's a great idea and I should follow suit!
-Manali
IG @calligraphy_nibler