Author Topic: I don't like Instagram very much any more, and here's why:  (Read 9877 times)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
I don't like Instagram very much any more, and here's why:
« on: April 29, 2018, 06:27:21 AM »
This article describes quite nicely what I've been vaguely feeling in the past months … anyone else having the same feeling?
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: I don't like Instagram very much any more, and here's why:
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 01:52:36 PM »
I've also been unhappy with IG; however torn from leaving as I don't want to lose the contact with some of friends I've made on there
Star

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »
Yes, I know what you mean, @Starlee – it's just not so enjoyable anymore for me …

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 05:25:34 PM »
Agreed...thank goodness for Flourish!
Star

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 08:39:24 PM »
My negative Insta feedback would be changing the feed from chronological order and not seeing people I follow feeds. I hate it. I just give up now on trying to catch-up on everyone's work.

Offline ChristenAllocco

• View Profile
    • Allocco Design and Crafts
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 10:32:20 AM »
Really interesting.

Contrary to the author, I actually love Instagram stories. I try and use them more to share my process or a little piece of my life. For instance, I recently did a little light engrossing and and shared my whole process in little snippets from pencil, to ink, to paint. Then I shared an image of the final piece that evening.

I love getting an inside look on the real person behind an Instagram account through stories. It relieves us of some of those assumptions about a person's "perfect" life because we see them in their kitchens or their messy office.

I will say that I do not like new algorithm and I wish they'd bring back the chronological order. I don't understand why Instagram makes it so hard for someone to share a piece of their life. Facebook Pages are worse in that area though, the engagement is SO low unless you pay money to promote your posts.

Lastly, there are very few calligraphers in my area, so all my calligrafriends are on Instagram. I would feel so isolated without my Insta friends and this forum community!
Christen
Instagram

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 07:25:33 PM »
@ChristenAllocco....you describing posting the process through stories has intrigued me enough to at least look at a story. I confess I haven't watched a single one. I barely have time to keep up with the pics posted by friends, let alone watch a story. But I can see their appeal.
Star

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 08:46:01 PM »
I, too, like to see processes that people sometimes post on IG stories, and I also like to share my processes that way.  It can be very cool to watch, but it's not necessarily something that you'd want your feed cluttered with, especially since we really don't get the advantage of chronological viewing anymore.  Le sigh.  However, when I see that someone has posted a BUNCH of photos or videos on their story, like that example shown in the article here, I automatically skip the whole story.  I am not totally sure why, but I can't hang.  Especially when it's just videos of them talking into the camera - holy moly, I couldn't virtually run any faster.

I guess when it comes down to it, stories can be very cool as long as they're not just exhibitionism.

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 02:49:40 AM »
I'm fairly new to IG, and I just don't understand stories. I like the pictures of the work, not collections of plates of food with dog ears on them. So I just ignore them. I do wish that the pictures could be posted chronologically, but the number of people I follow is small enough that I can keep up with the new things anyway.
Clara

Offline RD5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 04:27:40 AM »
I don't use instagram, but all these social media sites suffer from the same fundamental problems. One is that there is so much potential information, that it is hard to sort through,  second is that there is a basic conflict of interest. The website wants to make money, and keep you infinitely engaged.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 05:05:31 AM »
My negative Insta feedback would be changing the feed from chronological order and not seeing people I follow feeds. I hate it. I just give up now on trying to catch-up on everyone's work.

Totally agree on that too … plus some days ago I started getting ads  >:(.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 05:16:33 AM »
Really interesting.
Contrary to the author, I actually love Instagram stories. I try and use them more to share my process or a little piece of my life. For instance, I recently did a little light engrossing and and shared my whole process in little snippets from pencil, to ink, to paint. Then I shared an image of the final piece that evening.
I love getting an inside look on the real person behind an Instagram account through stories. It relieves us of some of those assumptions about a person's "perfect" life because we see them in their kitchens or their messy office.

Hm, interesting points! I must admit I just don't have the time or ganas to scroll through all the stories. They're often blurry, full of annoying noise and (for me) stupid emojis and animated stuff – maybe I'm just too old for all that ;D. I'm also not having a problem with the »perfect« pics – I don't follow too many people who post selfies often and I'm more interested in what they do (workwise) then in how they, their houses, families, pets or friends look ;). Apart from the calligraphy accounts I follow some typographers, lettering artists and some food and travel feeds I find interesting for the insight in places I'll probably never go …

I will say that I do not like new algorithm and I wish they'd bring back the chronological order. I don't understand why Instagram makes it so hard for someone to share a piece of their life.
Lastly, there are very few calligraphers in my area, so all my calligrafriends are on Instagram. I would feel so isolated without my Insta friends and this forum community!

As I said earlier, I also hate the algorythm … and yes, it's still nice to keep in touch with fellow calligraphers!

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 05:18:48 AM »
I am not totally sure why, but I can't hang.  Especially when it's just videos of them talking into the camera - holy moly, I couldn't virtually run any faster.

Haha, well said …

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 05:26:20 AM »
The website wants to make money, and keep you infinitely engaged.

That's of course a valid point, but I personally have found that Instagram 1. made me connect with calligraphers I'd never met otherwise (apart from this forum maybe ;)), 2. allowed me to learn stuff I'd also had trouble finding on the rest of the internet – hashtags are very effective that way and 3. it has become over the years a very potent marketing tool for me. In simple words, people find my work on Instagram and I get jobs from it. I just don't have so much pleasure using it anymore is all.

Instagram is the first and only social media thing I used at all (I've never been on Facebook), and I really liked it in the beginning – as described above :).

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 07:08:11 AM »
word.