Author Topic: White ink won't flow!  (Read 3081 times)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
White ink won't flow!
« on: August 17, 2014, 05:36:31 PM »
I've been trying to get some white ink to flow all afternoon. I have Dr. Martins' bleed-proof white & it is very thick. The consistency in the jar is about the consistency of cold cream or margarine. I scooped some out & tried to thin it with distilled water, but I could never get it to flow!  I then tried white gouache, thinned it with distilled water & could never get it to flow, even though the mixture is pretty runny. Anyone ever had this happen to them?  Any advice?  Thanks in advance!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: White ink won't flow!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 08:50:35 PM »
Hi Janis,
Yes, it takes a bit of fiddling to get the consistency right. I prefer the Doc Martin's bleedproof white. Once you get the right consistency, it works like a dream. I would say if it isn't flowing, you still need more water. It should be about the consistency of half and half. If you go too thin, you'll know because it will no longer be opaque and will disappear on black paper.

I mixed up a new large dinky dip jar at IAMPETH and needed to add quite a bit of water.

Also, try it with a well primed nib so you know it's the consistency and not the nib. Hope that helps!  :)
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 09:49:11 PM »
hi janis!

bleedproof white is my favorite :)  i scoop some of it to another container and mix maybe 4-5 drops of water (well, depending on how much you have scooped out).  then, just mix it continuously with a brush.  some peeps dip the nib directly onto the mixture, but for me it works well if i use a brush first :)
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook

scrapbookmom

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 10:48:46 AM »
Hi,
  In the Penman's Journal, Volume XII, Issue 4, Bob Hurford has an article called "Care and Feeding of Dr. Ph. Martin's Bleed Proof White.  It is quite lengthy and I'm not sure if it is on line, but he goes into alot of detail on how to stir, not shake the bleed proof white, how to apply with a stirrer or a brush and how to dip your nib into water about 2mm in order to keep the capillary action going.  Hopefully, it is on line and will help!

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »
I'll go in search of that article!  Thank you!!

I tried again this morning before work with the gouache. - For whatever reason, I got it to load and letter just fine (after fighting with it for two hours yesterday!!).  My only "big" problem was that it wanted to release a big blob of ink first, and then it would take off just fine.  (I may have thinned it to much.)  I'd let it blob on a paper towel, then start lettering.  Got the project that I was working on done.

Why can't they make Dr. Martens' that's ready to go, right out of the bottle?  I'm just sayin'.......

Thank you for all your help!

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »
McCaffery's Bright White is as close as I've seen ready to go but it's still not as opaque as bleedproof white. (Perfectly fine fine for my needs though)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »
Bleedproof white dries real quick too so you have to keep adding water if needed. Sounds like you need to add much more water though!
If it doesn't flow on the nib, try dipping the white-ink-loaded nib in your water container real quick.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube