Author Topic: Setup?  (Read 5854 times)

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
Setup?
« on: September 21, 2014, 04:14:10 PM »
I would like to ask a question if it has already been answered I apologize. I work on a glass dinner table that is 30 inches high that's about two and half feet now when I add my light box that adds about an inch more. Now myself not being very tall sorry ladies just kidding my elbows are not 90° to my body when I used to draft for living we worked on drafting tables that were very tall and it was very ergonomically painful. If I lower everything to like a TV tray type set up I feel more comfortable and more in control. Should I do it that way instead of my current set up because I think It might would result in better writing. A taller chair is really not an option right now. Kind of a stupid question I know but what do y'all think?

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Setup?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 06:59:28 PM »
I don't think that's stupid at all, Brad - in fact it's a constant bugbear for me too.  In my case I'm waiting till a larger table comes along (there's a nice oak draw-leaf in the offing), then I'll take a view on what to do about the chair, but something's got to change.  (As it happens I have a very large drawing board which adjusts from knee high to eye level, but my wife is not going to react well to that appearing in the living room, or me exiling myself to the spare room for that matter).

If you're happier with the TV tray and don't anticipate problems with spilling ink and the suchlike, it sounds like a good idea to me.  Incidentally, being tall doesn't help, at least not if you have long gibbon-like arms like mine.  ;)

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 07:51:31 PM »
Hi Brad, I agree with Andy, it's not a stupid question. I, too, am writing on a table that I think is too tall for me, but it's all I have right now. Since it really is all about the final product, I think that any adjustment you make that improves your lettering cannot be a bad thing, regardless of the method. My vote is to use the TV tray. Maybe you can use a second for your ink and the like. :)
Star

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »
Thanks guys. Yes I would leave the ink and supplies on table and just put the paper and or the light box on the tray. I have made that mistake and made a mess being all he tray simply not enough room.

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:35:18 PM »
Would it be possible to sit on a pillow?  I suppose no one has phone books anymore...

Offline chantellehoffmann

• View Profile
    • Bespoke Strokes Calligraphy
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:16:02 PM »
I sit on a pillow and two large books to get to the correct/comfortable height for my desk. While it's not the most comfortable arrangement, I do find it makes my lettering smoother (esp flourishes) and it doesn't fatigue my neck and shoulder as much as it did previously. 
Chantelle Hoffmann
Instagram: @bespokestrokes Web:BespokeStrokes.com Facebook: FB

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 06:46:04 PM »
Would it be possible to sit on a pillow?  I suppose no one has phone books anymore...

I suppose it it would be possible. I will have to give it a try.

Offline vsotosilecchia

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »
Hope you don't mind me chiming in.  I sit on two of these cushions (link below) to obtain proper height they are nice and firm unlike my pillows. They have made a world of difference in my practice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CVYOAUY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 
https://instagram.com/vsotosilecchia - I'm a newbie so there isn't much calligraphy yet.

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 09:26:05 PM »
Hope you don't mind me chiming in.  I sit on two of these cushions (link below) to obtain proper height they are nice and firm unlike my pillows. They have made a world of difference in my practice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CVYOAUY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems like a good option.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 02:41:30 AM »
I also sit on two cushions when I am at my parents in law's house. The desk I work on there is too high for me, but with the cushions it's ok. It's really important for me that my arm can move freely without lifting it …
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 09:32:37 AM »
All of this has got me wondering about height and how it will affect writing.  I will have to try a cushion and see what happens...

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 03:17:53 PM »
I now have been sitting on one large cushion and one smaller on top of that. Picks me up over the table and puts me more on level. But kinda pushes me foward a little. I have yet to recognize if it helps yet or not. Take me a little time. Kinda going through a writers block so to speak. Not words but technique.