Author Topic: Need Gothic exemplar  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Graphic-Ally

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Need Gothic exemplar
« on: July 21, 2014, 05:39:44 AM »
Hi everyone

I have been teaching myself calligraphy for some time now and have chosen to take up gothic as the next hand that i would learn. The problem is that i am not particularly fond of the version of gothic that my reference manual has and i am looking for some help here.
I was hoping that one of you could help me find a good exemplar along with instructions explaining the finer points of the hand.

Thanks in advance

-Nishant

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
Re: Need Gothic exemplar
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 12:37:49 AM »

Offline Graphic-Ally

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
That should keep you busy for a while. :)
I think you just planned the second half of 2014 for me...thanks

Offline Graphic-Ally

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 04:58:09 PM »
Thanks brad. This seems pretty straight word and is more than an exemplar..thank you very much

Offline PaddyMac

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 09:37:53 PM »
I've been learning Fraktur via this ebook and video course from Steve Czajka from Toronto
http://torontocalligraphyguild.org/2014/04/05/learn-gothic-calligraphy-and-lettering-online-calligraphy-course/

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 01:24:00 AM »
Hi Paddymac,
I'm very interested in Steve Czajak's online Fraktur class too.  Do you like it?   
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 02:35:48 AM »
That sounds intriguing indeed! I'd also love to hear about your experience with that course.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline PaddyMac

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 03:12:31 PM »
Re Steve's Course I mentioned above:

So far I like it a lot, but I'm only half way through the lowercase. Like other teachers, he encourages you to study a lot of examplars and then create your own style. I'll be happy if I can just remember the stroke sequence without tracing it...

He particularly likes David Harris' "The Art of Calligraphy" book, and there are also great examplars in Claude Mediavilla's book "Calligraphy".

If you get Steve's ebook then you will want to print it out on nice legal paper. Hammermill has smooth 24lb Laserprint Legal paper (I found it on Amazon). The standard stuff is 20lb and not great. He uses a 6mm parallel pen, but if you fiddle with outputting the examplars smaller (I think it's 70%?) then the smaller 3.8mm should work. Start by tracing the letters, as they are quite intricate. He gives you blank pages to print but I preferred using a large layout bond.