Author Topic: Nib and Ink Reviews and Info section  (Read 3473 times)

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
Nib and Ink Reviews and Info section
« on: December 27, 2015, 07:41:31 AM »
I'd love to have a nib reviews section, I'm constantly on the lookout for new nibs to try, and there is lots of information in the 'Tools and Supplies' section, but it's not set up for finding that information easily.  How about we have a section dedicated to nib reviews, where each nib gets it's own thread?  In that thread, people could post photos of the nib itself, the boxes, any different versions, changes over the years, and general reviews and information they have about the nib.

In a similar vain, we could also have an ink reviews section.  Again each ink gets it's own thread and people can post how well the ink performs with different nibs, papers, etc, and whether they need to dilute it, thicken it, etc.

I guess we could also have a paper review section....
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Nib and Ink Reviews and Info section
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 02:29:08 PM »
Thank you for this suggestion Melanie. I am giving it careful review.

The problem is it would have to be broken out as its own category and then would have many, many boards under it. This would increase our front page length considerably. And what happens is people don't use the search function so there would end up being multiple threads about the same nib, subject, etc. just as there is now.

I will think about the best way to categorize/lay out such a thing. In the meantime, members can search within the tools and supplies board for a specific nib. And topics can be "stickied" so they stay at the top.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 03:20:10 PM »
Ahhh, I didn't realise that...I just thought that you could create a new board, and then each nib would just have a thread within it?  Never mind!

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:29:35 PM »
If there was a thread specifically for reviews, perhaps it would be useful to have an index post which would list the post number of the reviewed item and be linked to that post.  The index post could be sticky-ed to the top of the thread.
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 12:28:14 PM »
Excellent suggestion Elisabeth. I will definitely consider this.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 01:17:48 PM »
One model that works can be seen over on fountainpennetwork.com where we have two forums dedicated to ink reviews and ink comparisons. There is a suggested format for review and comparison but it is not enforced - we find that most people follow it though. Moderators keep the pinned index thread updated so participants can easily find what they are looking for.

I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 02:14:46 PM »
That's exactly as I'd imagined it.  The only issue is that it would put more work on Erica to keep the index thread up to date.  Maybe a few other people could be given administrator access to the index thread to help?