Author Topic: Review  (Read 5320 times)

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
Re: Review
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 01:27:42 PM »
I have the Universal Oblique pen holder Oblique Domique one. I liked it it to a point. The screw would keep loosing up so one day I took it out thinking maybe it was misaligned. I could not get it back in and once I come close the wood on the end of the screw ripped apart. Now my only option is to buy another wooded screen top or put a screw in and use a screw driver. Plus a lot of nibs I use did not fit to well. Like the principle from manuscript

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 02:37:29 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D I am totally confused now...

Haha!  That's understandable.  :)

Here's a suggestion, make of it what you will.  I'm assuming that you'd like to use PIA as your supplier, and that your budget isn't to exceed the price of the holder in the first post.

Firstly, one of these for your Brause EF66.  Yes, it's plastic and not the prettiest, but as far as I know they're supposed to be pretty good.  You could always paint it, and if you did wind up wrapping it with string it wouldn't be any uglier.  Secondly, either one of these, or if you don't like the look of that spike, these.  Between the two you have the EF66, Nikko G and Hunt 101 covered, along with a few others, probably without any need for pliers.  You can simply reach for whichever takes your fancy and start writing without having to worry about metalwork.  Total: $27.90 plus postage etc.  Seems like an easy alternative to the adjustable holder, and you'll have a cool $5.05 left over to spend with a clear conscience on ... well, something.  ;)

Offline parvathypraveen20

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 02:55:54 PM »
@Brad franklin  thank you so much... you cleared all my doubts regarding that holder..

@AndyT thank you so much for giving me a super suggestion.. i have been using the turned wood holder with pointed end...but te issue i have is that the flange is not fixed and keeps on coming out when i pull the nib out.. I fixed it using a toothpick but then i am experiencing a lot of paper catch

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 03:08:26 PM »
i have been using the turned wood holder with pointed end...but te issue i have is that the flange is not fixed and keeps on coming out when i pull the nib out.. I fixed it using a toothpick but then i am experiencing a lot of paper catch

I wonder what's causing that, then?  The toothpick is the usual thing for fixing the flange so that was a good move.  What nib do you use in that holder?  It sounds like it could do with a slight tweak to lower the angle, if you haven't already done that.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 11:26:20 PM »
brausse ef 66.. and a hunt in another one

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 10:55:39 AM »
Odd.  I can't imagine that switching to a holder with the stiffer Bullock flange would help, but you never know.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 11:16:53 AM »
I understand i am making a mistake somewhere.. but cant figure out where @AndyT

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 11:40:04 AM »
No, I can't see it either.  It's not just that the nibs have worn out is it, do you suppose?

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
Or maybe by putting the toothpick in to hold the flange into place (which is the correct thing to do), you've somehow altered the angle of the flange, and therefore the nib. 

Have you tried gently pushing the end of the flange upwards?  It's easiest to do it with an old nib in place - gently twist the flange slightly, so basically the tip of the nib goes up by a mm or so, and the other end of the nib goes down a mm.  It's only a very small adjustment, but it can make a lot of difference to how the nib contacts the paper.
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 05:55:20 PM »
@AndyT @melanie jane  One last question please:
Which one would you go for: a PIA straight adjustable oblique holder or a carrot holder and turned wood together??

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 05:59:37 PM »
Well, I'm probably not the person to ask, since I make my own pens and so probably wouldn't purchase any of them.  However, if that weren't the case, I would go for 2 penholders over the PIA adjustable.
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 07:05:48 PM »
Like Melanie Jane I make my own, but I'd take the simple flange over the adjustable one.

Offline MeganWillcox

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 01:24:42 AM »
Hi all.. Can someone give me a review for the following holder.. also other suggestions are welcome..http://www.paperinkarts.com/piaobl---ros.html

I have this one in green and I love it! The material itself is very smooth and comfortable. Check the measurements for length because this is a shorter pen. It fits really well in my small hands!!